AC not blowing hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my ac blows cold and blows out of all vents but it seems weak even on the highest setting and it always blows out the defrost vent no matter what setting it’s on. Even with the ac on full blast I sweat. It’s a HOT summer in Mississippi y’all I wanna get it fixed

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like 1 of the blend door actuators isn't working right. I don't know where they are located.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like 1 of the blend door actuators isn't working right. I don't know where they are located.
X2

With the A/C off can you get the fan to blow down at your feet without the defrost blowing, can you switch to defrost and no air at your feet? Can you switch to vent and shut off the other 2? I'm guessing you can't shut off the defrost. I too don't know where the hell those doors are, someone else will have to chime in.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The defrost/floor/vent door actuator is on the drivers side. sitck your head under the steering wheel and look right. its mounted on side of the air box. I had this same problem, and before I got around to replacing it, I would just unplug the actuator, or tap on it and it would sometimes fix itself for a little while. Luckily that is the easiest one to replace. For the Hot/cold you have to remove the glove box and reach toward the tape deck/stereo. and for the Fresh/recirc blend door you need to reach behind the blower motor cover in the passenger foot area.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After you get the air-door situation taken car of, you'll likely find the heater core and/or the A/C evaporator are partially-plugged with debris.

My '88 had a heap of pine needles and cottonwood fluff stuck in the heater core. Took me a long time to clear it all out. All the debris cuts the volume of air delivered.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
After you get the air-door situation taken car of, you'll likely find the heater core and/or the A/C evaporator are partially-plugged with debris.

My '88 had a heap of pine needles and cottonwood fluff stuck in the heater core. Took me a long time to clear it all out. All the debris cuts the volume of air delivered.

Isn't there a way to check for that? Was it all behind the blower motor?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove blower motor and squirrel-cage, look in the air box with flashlight and mirror. The heater core is "right there".

What debris gets through the heater core then ends up stuck in the A/C evaporator.

Compressed air backwards through the air box helps a lot, but some of it I just had to pick out by hand. I have seen but never used a foaming aerosol cleaner specially-made for HVAC heat exchangers. They sell it by the gallon and by the aerosol can at the local home-improvement store. The gallon jug gets mixed with water and then sprayed on with a pump sprayer. The aerosol works just like any other aerosol can, push the button and "instant foam". This stuff is "supposed" to be really good at cleaning dust, dirt, grease etc; but I don't imagine it'll work worth a crap on pine needles and cottonwood fluff.

I can imagine a situation where the only way to truly fix the blockage is to replace the heater core and/or the evap.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never replaced a core but the You Tube videos on doing it seem to indicate that it isn't all that hard and they are not too expensive. Might be worth the effort to at least get one out for cleaning but again I have never tried it.

achevyman1956

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem. But i also found that the actuator closest to the gas pedal has two arms going to it. One is disconnected and i have a broken blend door. i will be taking apart the dash out of a junk tahoe i bought later this week. I'll try to shoot some pictures for yall.