AC / Heater vent switching issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prginocx

Reaction score
'94 K2500, 5.7L, Ex. Cab, AT, Base Model with power door locks, power windows. The AC / Heater is controlled by a module just to the R of the steering column. This module has a horizontal button / bar for moving the temp ^ indicator <----> across from blue ( cold ) to red ( Hot ). It has a fan button, AC button, and AC recirc button. This module has been replaced, I believe the problem is not this module.

Anyway, here is the problem: When I switch from normal mode ( either everything OFF, or heater on/off, directed towards the windshield or your boots ) to AC mode, it doesn't seem to want to switch cold air to the center vents. You can hear a kinda whistle sound for a long while, then you go over a bump or something, and all of the sudden cold air comes pouring out of the center vents. You can feel the AC engaging the compressor, you can feel cold air on your boots, but there is this delay, sometimes long, sometimes short, and then finally the cold air comes pouring out. Esssentially I believe the vent switching is sticking.

How does this work ? Anyone know of this problem ? I did replace this module with a junk yard one, but the junk yard truck was actually RUNNING AND I TESTED THIS MODULE FIRST. I replaced this module for a different reason, and it did fix that problem.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the blend door actuator down by your right foot is goin out or the linkages for the blend door are gummed up and not moving properly

prginocx

Reaction score
Ah, I do see a little module down there, right above the 4X4 indicator light, is that the one ? Is it common for them to stick, or do I need to replace that guy ?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup that's the one but it's either the motor is goin bad, or the linkages are sticky. Easy way to check is put your finger on the silver/grey circle you see and turn knob from face to defrost and feel if it moves our tries to move

Sent from somewhere in MN