AC Delco EP381 Fuel Pump Only Rotates Wrong Direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been messing around with my fuel pump the last few days on my 93' C1500 350 TBI.

I wanted to upgrade to a higher pressure pump for an LS swap down the road.

I have a EP381 ACD pump but it will only rotate the wrong direction.

When I swap the polarity at the pump, it will not run at all.

What am I missing here?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad one. I swapped an EP381 into mine with my 6.0 swap and had zero issues like that.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the only thing I can conclude as well.

I have way too much time invested in troubleshooting this simple DC motor, pretty frustrating...

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

I ordered a replacement from RockAuto, it will be a few days before I can verify anything.

Good thing I don't need to drive this truck on a daily basis.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a EP381 ACD pump but it will only rotate the wrong direction.

When I swap the polarity at the pump, it will not run at all.

What am I missing here?

Sounds like you got a bad one.
I think the word you're looking for is "counterfeit". It's not a "bad" one, it's a Communist Chinese counterfeit.

When I got sold a batch of questionable AC spark plugs, I took pictures of them and sent 'em to AC-Delco (GM). They confirmed the plugs were "not authentic". They came from a dirtbag in Texas selling on Amazon.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Yep, I got a set of bogey injectors branded AC Delco before off rockauto. It’s very common with Motorcrap parts too.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s not exactly reassuring. I specially went with the EP381 for OEM quality. I’ve been reluctant to except something wrong with a brand new ACD pump, had this have been an aftermarket brand, I would have gave up troubleshooting a long time ago and assumed the pump was bad. I’ll need to take a closer look. I don’t see any specific markings on the pump itself.

The box looks like a legit ACD box and has a sticker that says ‘Made in Brazil’ nothing on the pump itself though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My spark plugs said "Made in Japan".

And maybe they were. Who knows. The packaging and the ink-stamp printing on the porcelains looked first-rate. The lack of the "three dots" and the center electrode diameter (too large) were my first clues. What I didn't spot until after I'd marked-up the photos and send 'em to GM, was the different shape of the side electrode--original is gently rounded, counterfeit has a sharper bend.

As said previously, GM confirmed that these are "not authentic".

Three photos:
http://hbassociates.us/2020_Trailblazer_Spark_Plugs_LG_01.jpg
http://hbassociates.us/2020_Trailblazer_Spark_Plugs_LG_02.jpg
http://hbassociates.us/2020_Trailblazer_Spark_Plugs_LG_03.jpg

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I received a new pump yesterday from RockAuto. Plugged it in and it started right up in the proper direction. Running the same polarity as the original pump I removed two weeks ago. The new pump is much quieter as well. Installed the complete sending unit and the truck started right up. It’s crazy how much time I wasted troubleshooting bad pump #1, pretty frustrating. This should be a plug and play swap for anyone else swapping to a EP381 from a stock TBI pump.

The two pumps pretty much look identical. Pics below. Pump that works properly is on the right.