AC charged...Cool, but not cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AC on the Burb is leaving a lot to be desired. Even on high with the recirc on, I'm getting low 60s at best out of the vents.

Background, the previous owner had a new compressor put in. Seemed to blow ok cold when I bought it last October, but I didn't use it all that much until temps started going up this summer. It seems to be working, in the sense that one line coming off is hot and one is cold.

I tried the DIY cans at the parts store (yeah, I know), and it didn't really help. I took it to my mechanic on Friday hoping for a last-minute fix for this weekend. He evacuated the system and filled it up properly (apparently I had put in way too much), but the AC is still blowing the same 60ish degrees. I've even wired up the cooling fan to always be on when the clutch is engaged. Didn't seem to do much.

I have the truck back at the mechanic to see what they can do, but I'm curious if anyone has ideas as to what's going on. The shop is thinking maybe the condenser because it looks a little wet (their words), but unless it has some MASSIVE leak, I would think something else is going on since the system wasn't cold even with refrigerant in it.

System is converted to R134a. Am I maybe just expecting too much from it? My 91 F250 is converted, but it'll freeze you out whereas the Burb just barely keeps you from being miserable.

Mike

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. WHAT ARE THE HIGH AND LOW SIDE PRESSURES? Dicking with Air conditioning without knowing the pressures is futile.
2. Excess oil in the system?
3. Leaves, seeds, dead squirrels in the evaporator housing?
4. Leaking or non-functional air doors?
5. Dreck, metal chips, sludge plugging the orifice tube screen?
6. Rear AC? Does it work?

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Not sure what they are now after the shop recharged it. Agreed on the pressures being a vital piece of the puzzle, admittedly only after having done some reading up after the parts store can didn't fix it.

2. Again, not sure.

3. Have not yet cleaned it out. On my list of things to do, although the amount of air being pushed out is pretty good. It's just not cold.

4. Blend doors seem to be working fine. Toggles from upper to lower vents fine, and adjusting the temp does what it's supposed to do. Again, just not all that cold.

5. Not sure. Needed the system evacuated to check. But I was hoping the shop would check as part of the troibleshooting. I'll bring it up with them next time we chat.

6. Yes, rear AC. Mine has the setup where the rear only gets fan control, not full temp control, but it does work. Back is usually coming out a bit warmer than the front, but not consistently.

Thanks!

Mike