A/C not working, and it's damn hot outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we have had two months of uber hot weather and I've had it

Symptoms:
- no air conditioning
- fan works fine
- ac compressor clicks when I press the button
- ac system at 70 psi
- the only broken thing is my vent selector for -> (face?) but defrost (W//) and leg work (\>) shouldn't make a difference anyways
- recirculating actuator works fine
- heater control works fine

What is going on here??? Is there a little door for the evaporator or something that might be broken or is the air always passing through the evaporator ? I don't understand why it isn't working, I thought maybe my controls were stuck on hot but they work too. Is ther something that prevents air from going trough the evaporator? I feel the air coming through the vents.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Just looking at your pressure, I would say you have way too much refrigerant in there.....There may be other problems, but its a start

You must be registered for see images

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is 70 psi the static pressure without the system running? Let it sit shut off for at least 1/2 an hour before you check the pressure, should be within 10 psi +/- of this chart. More than 10 psi low you have a leak and you're low on refrigerant, more than 10 psi high is an overcharge (unlikely unless you've been screwing with it) or air in the system which is usually caused by a leak in the compressor. It's not exact as you can be low and still read normal pressure but it will give you some kind of an idea as to what you have.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think the running pressures will help you much because they can vary a lot and unless you know what you're doing it can be pretty easy to misdiagnose the issue. Does the compressor cycle or run when you hit the switch with the engine running? If it does run does it rapidly cycle back off (ie run for 2 seconds, off for 30) indicating a low charge?

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this happens to me every couple of years. Replace your A/C controls. Its the contacts. When mine goes out it only blows hot through the defrost and feet. There is a kit that replaces contacts(so Ive heard) but ive never searched for it so I couldn't tell you how or where to find