99 Sub 4x4 front drive shaft removal, axle shafts removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Reaction score
Here is the scoop... I have some weird noises coming from the front of my 99 4x4 sub.

1. Can i remove the front driveshaft and drive the sub, will it hurt anything?

2. Can I remove the half shaft (IFS axle shafts) and drive the sub

I want to do this no narrow down where the noise is coming from.

Thanks!

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The driveshaft, no problem. Ive never removed and then tried to drive without a CV joint, I wouldnt do it man, the hub needs the nut holding on and preloading it so it doesnt come apart.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The driveshaft, no problem. Ive never removed and then tried to drive without a CV joint, I wouldnt do it man, the hub needs the nut holding on and preloading it so it doesnt come apart.

I'll second that. I've heard the GMT-800's can get away without cv-shafts (haven't verified that) but our trucks need the shaft to hold things together. It will roll/drive, but you'll need to replace the hubs after. Honestly, I haven't verified that either, since i've never tried it, but I've read of others ruining hubs that way.

malones99

Reaction score
Alright guys, I won't drive with the CV's out. BTW since the hub is a sealed bearing(s) is there a preload?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Well since nobody else has asked, what kind of noise are you hearing? Maybe you don't need to take anything apart to figure this out. The driveshaft does not move unless you are in 4wd so don't expect the noise to magically go away when you pull the shaft.