98 vortec l31 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My PCM was not throwing any codes, and my transmissions were always maintained properly. Cooling was more than adequate. They still didn't live long.

By all means do what you want with your truck. My experiences were certainly out of the ordinary, but I feel obligated to bring them up and warn others. IMO messing with torque management on a 60E is not a smart thing to do if reliability is a concern.

The Black Bear Performance tune is a great upgrade, though.

I’ve read a lot of posts the 4l60e are weak and you are lucky to get 200k out of one. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Consider swapping out the stock injectors for the multiport version. It’ll all be apart anyways so you might as well. It definitely helps throttle response and is about a $300 part (if I remember right).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about to do this to my truck but read several reviews of problems on amazon. Yes lots of great reviews but quite a few with people having problems after a few months to a year of injectors going out.

I’m still running the factory poppet spider. No problems. I always run top tier gas so maybe the additives Techron help? Or placebo effect LOL

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve heard of people having problems as well. I did mine (ACDelco version) in December 2016 and have had no issues, but I’ve maybe put 3,000 miles on it since then. Fingers crossed on longevity, but it made a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My PCM was not throwing any codes, and my transmissions were always maintained properly. Cooling was more than adequate. They still didn't live long.

By all means do what you want with your truck. My experiences were certainly out of the ordinary, but I feel obligated to bring them up and warn others. IMO messing with torque management on a 60E is not a smart thing to do if reliability is a concern.

The Black Bear Performance tune is a great upgrade, though.

^^^AGREED...Stock 5.7/4L60E combination in my Express van puked the first trans at 38K not being driven aggressively. The 4L65E replacement with a Transgo HD2 and Sonnax servos made it 40K (15K with Zero torque management)with a LT4 cam, 1.6 rockers, S10 converter, shorty headers and a tune. My buddy tempted fate and put my tuned black box in his 97 C1500 and muched his well built 4L60E about 15K later with less than 30K on the trans. I actually put more torque management into my brothers LT1 cammed 1999 Suburban and the cammed 305 1999 Tahoe. 40% torque reduction from 240 ft/lbs and above. With no less than 25% anywhere. I bring down the shift times to 250 msec. The 305 still killed the 60E after 20K miles with a shift kit and upgraded servos. The suburban had an occasional flare on a lower mileage GM Serta trans when it was sold as well.

$675 Junkyard 120K mile 4L85E in the Express van with a Transgo HD2 kit is still going strong 40K miles later. Even after it popped (more like MELTED) a cooler line 10K ago and drained out all the fluid on the highway, requiring a tow truck to bring it back to the shop. Fixed the cooler line, flushed the fluid and have not had any issues.

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stupid question.How is torque management done on these trucks without the electronic throttle body? Do they pull timing?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did transmissions survive before TQ management?