98 chevy ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy allen

Reaction score
Hello I just got my first truck it’s a 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5 speed manual the day I got it I was driving home I ended up going to see one of my buddy’s we went for a little ride around town truck was running fine we went back to his house and when I left it was still running fine but a little down the road something on the end of my clutch pedal came out out and my clutch was just loose I started it up and drove towards my house I was going up the road a steep hill I tried downshifting from 4th to 3rd so I can gain speed to get up the hill but it wouldn’t go into gear from neutral and I stopped and it started ticking/knocking
You must be registered for see images attach

Jeremy allen

Reaction score
Clutch out maybe?
it was on the end of my clutch pedal that went into the floorboard it started dangling when i pulled pedal back after it fell out my dumbass drove it without the clutch towards my house which was about a 15 min drive anyways i messed it up when i was driving up a hill with slight incline i was in 4th gear going up the hill about 30 mph at 1.5k rpms tried downshifting was stuck in neutral wouldnt go in any gears until i coasted to a stop almost up the hill thats when something started ticking didnt sound good so i turned it off then acted like my battery went dead i have hooked up a code reader under steering wheel no fuses were bad or no codes showed up but i didnt do the driving cycle truck still fires up and drives but with the tick and it shuts off after driving for awhile up the road both of my front cv axles are ripped also when i wiggle my exhaust sounds like theres something inside of it also was thinking about just 5.7 swapping it since it only has a 5.0 vortec v8 305 engine with 233k miles i can buy a 5.7tbi motor with computer and pretty much everything or a 5.3vortec out of a 2003 chevy avalanche which i was told has a 1000 dollar computer chip in it the engine and computer for 600 was wondering what id need to do the engine swap