98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I think you will have to just bite the bullet and drop the trans. you should not lose much fluid but that is part of working on ****, sometimes it just isn't going to go the way you want. Either that or pull the motor back out but trans would be easier.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i just checked the pins and they are both in the bell houseing everything meets beside the 3 bolt holes

edit: now i took 2 hrs fighting and turning it and have come to the options of drill the holes to fit and risk throwing the flex plate out of balence and endlessly spin another bearing or pull trans back and change the flexplates. what is the easyist way on doing that and also save trans fluid becuase i have $20 till friday

ok, my flexplate had two sets of holes on it, does yours?

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
well last night i finished it i installed plugs and wires and went to turn kety all i heard was a loud noise witch i belive is the starter but i cant remember what sound means closer or to far from flex plate. could someone please explain shims

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well last night i finished it i installed plugs and wires and went to turn kety all i heard was a loud noise witch i belive is the starter but i cant remember what sound means closer or to far from flex plate. could someone please explain shims

Starters for these motors do not use shims.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ya my last one didnt and its the same flex plate and all. gm and autozone told me to by the shim set. now the end of the flex plate teeth are being hit and shaved so that means the start must go close so i am going to cut a .020 in half and only put it on the passanger closest to the wheel and try it

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
I do know know what to do anymore its still moaning and groaning with or with out shims. I have also tried cutting shimms in half and putting them on the bolt closest to the passenger side wheel and took them off and tried out to pull it away it sounds like it is binding tho so I'm confused

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you installed that engine, better yet, before you brought it home, did you make sure you can spin the engine by hand?

Also this noise you talk about, any chance you can do a video if it?

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
yes the first thing i did when i saw it was pull the pan off and grab the crank pull and spin it. then set it at tdc. now i went to napa they said i had the wrong starter mine was to big and such so i just payed 160 for a new small starter and it just sounds like it is binding. honestly idk what to do ill try and get a video