98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
im just about sick of this truck it would get past the trans it just gets stuck the people i asked said go to the rear diff and pull off the 4 bolts to the drive shaft pull the 2 bolts from the carriing bearing and pull the trans back a few inchs and then it will slide right in.

i seem to be cough on it before i can even get the "little nubs" that slide in to the engine and bell houseing. its pure hell any tips?

jack up the front of the trans.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ok i got everything buttoned up and all connected and i went to install the 3 torque convert bolts and now the holes dont match the holes are like a quater of a inch to low on the flex plate, i dont want to have to pull the trans as well any tips on giveing it the extra umph to get it in. or is pull the trans back my only way?

the engine i have now came out of a 2000 van i think

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ok i got everything buttoned up and all connected and i went to install the 3 torque convert bolts and now the holes dont match the holes are like a quater of a inch to low on the flex plate, i dont want to have to pull the trans as well any tips on giveing it the extra umph to get it in. or is pull the trans back my only way?

the engine i have now came out of a 2000 van i think

are the dowel pins in the holes on the trans?

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
i just checked the pins and they are both in the bell houseing everything meets beside the 3 bolt holes

edit: now i took 2 hrs fighting and turning it and have come to the options of drill the holes to fit and risk throwing the flex plate out of balence and endlessly spin another bearing or pull trans back and change the flexplates. what is the easyist way on doing that and also save trans fluid becuase i have $20 till friday

Last edited:

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reads like you may have to use the flexplate that was on the engine you took out. It could be the van trans used a smaller t/c and this is why your bolt pattern is off.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
what is the easyist way to move the trans to get the flex plate off? i want to get this truck going tonight. so i can go to cruise night sunday lol

also the truck has a 2 peice drive shaft

Last edited: