98 chevy 1500 engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ok i got the intake loose and the valve covers off the engine i bought so i cal put all my stuff on it when i pull mine out. now there is a like a breaded hose that runs from front of intake and to drive side exhaust manifold and i can not get it loose and dont want to put to much force and knock the stand over or something.

can i use the pan of my truck? if so how would i clean it all out? and when it comes time to hook it all back up how to i flush the oil cooler lines that run to oil filter on my truck?

edit: i got that hose off lol.

Last edited:

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i got the intake loose and the valve covers off the engine i bought so i cal put all my stuff on it when i pull mine out. now there is a like a breaded hose that runs from front of intake and to drive side exhaust manifold and i can not get it loose and dont want to put to much force and knock the stand over or something.

can i use the pan of my truck? if so how would i clean it all out? and when it comes time to hook it all back up how to i flush the oil cooler lines that run to oil filter on my truck?

That pipe youre referring to, I had a problem with when I did my intake. Used some really good penetrating lube and let it sit for a couple before I went wrenching on it. You can also use a dead blow hammer with the wrench to give it a shock and that may help you too.

Yes, if there is nothing wrong with your pan, and the pan that came with the engine doesnt match up, you can use your pan. Be sure you clean it out. As for the lines, I would flush them, cause you dont know how much debris is in them.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ya i said heck with it went to the exhaust manifold and stepped on the wrench lol but since i'm using the intake from my truck i didn't bother taking that pipe off the intake.

and how do i flush the lines i do not have a air compressor.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Engine looks good.

about the area were the intake gasket sits, just take a wire wheel and clean it all off, as long as its smooth its all good, you probably wont get the marks out of the heads.

I wouldnt worry about inside the intake runners, maybe take a vacuum and try to suck up the loose stuff, but that sit, hard to clean that without taking the head off and dissambeling everything.

and with the exhaust manifolds, get yourself i nice big breaker bar, and a 9/16 Socket, Lots of Penetrating Lube (NOT WD-40) and they should break loose.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
haha since my stand broke my engine had to be set back on the truck to set it on the new stand .my nefew just started standing on the bar and it came loose but with abnout half a can of the penetrating wrench from autozone about 6 somethin a can. and i got the engine all painted nicely. now i gota pull the valve covers and intake off my truck but its still in the truck im needed a cherry picker and not for sure on what to do. and how do i clean all the gunk and junk out of the oil cooler lines with out air? and the oil pan?

ill post some pictures of the engine as it sits now

Last edited:

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
what you guys think? i think tomorrow i am going to go buy a set of the autozone valve covers the chrome edelbrock ones. instead of painting them aluminum. but the intake and some extras will be aluminum

and also the issue of the oil cooler lines, water pump, and oil pan cleaning

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No I don't know the casting number, and I'm sure a lot of them are 4 bolt's though, also I have only dealt with them from 1/2 ton 2wd model's.