97 sierra shortbed engine ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deeno11

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here , thank you for the add. 5 months ago I purchased a 97 sierra shortbed k1500 with 120,000 miles. The seller, a kid I went to high school with told me it had a 350 5.7, so I took his word for it. But recent events have me questioning that, and I'm thinking it could be a 305 which would be a big disappointment to me, as I am planning on towing a 6x12 trailer for landscaping. I stumbled upon thisninformatuon after finding literally every single receipt and service recordrecords at the bottom of the glove box which read 5.0, also my vin comes back as coming stock with a 5.0, not sure if that's completely accurate though. Been looking for casting numbers but the one I've found just over the oil filter near the bell housing seems unlegable. I have taken a photo of it best I could after I cleaned the area. Can anybody give me some advice on where I should go from here. I'm assuming if it is a 5.7, it would have been swapped, which given the age, I'm assuming is entirely possible. I will upload photos of the truck and the numbers I could find. Please let me know where I should go from here. I bit discouraged, and dissapointed. Figured you were the go to guys for help. Thank you in advance.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back drivers side of the block is a flate(ish) spot. Right where the trans mounts to the block. It'll be stamped 5.0 or 5.7.. May be tough to see but usually can be seen with a good light and a mirror.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the side of the block itself are 3 numbers about an inch high near the freeze plugs. A vortec 5.7 is an 880.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A vortec 305 is not gutless like a 305tbi, it should be ok to tow.