97 K1500 Red-E-Kamp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyodawgnd

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently bought a 97 K1500 from a buddy who's father passed away. It has a "Red-E-Kamp" decal on the cab where the "Silverado" decal was on my 94. Does anyone have information on this? I believe it is upfitted but I have no idea what all that entails.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does it have a normal one wouldn't? The more details you provide the more responses you'll get. I'm kind of expecting a somewhat normal Z71 type package and some bolts on's....maybe. There's not ton of background info I'm seeing on that model. A bit more info on van campers and rv's

Last edited:

wyodawgnd

Reaction score
What does it have a normal one wouldn't? The more details you provide the more responses you'll get. I'm kind of expecting a somewhat normal Z71 type package and some bolts on's....maybe. There's not ton of background info I'm seeing on that model. A bit more info on van campers and rv's
That's what was throwing me as well. I found a website (https://www.gmcmi.com/red-e-kamp/) that doesn't really say much and a google search for "K1500 Red-e-Kamp" returns mostly vans of that era. As far as it having something a normal one wouldn't, that's what I'm trying to get some info on because I'm unsure. It doesn't have a Z71 package (rpo codes were pulled) but it does have the following:

Engine: 5.7 L31
Transmission: 4L60E
Rear End: 10 Bolt G80
Seats: I'm not sure if these are factory or if they've been swapped out. They're comfy as heck though.

Here are a few pictures. I have the lower dash panel removed for light to the brake switch and the glovebox removed so I can work on the latch but they don't seem to be unique in any way.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Back seat looks like the regular cloth interior, extended cab back seat. Front buckets and console are different, like conversion truck would have. And that cab badge is interesting; looks like they have GM approval to use their design?
Neat looking truck in any case.

wyodawgnd

Reaction score
Back seat looks like the regular cloth interior, extended cab back seat. Front buckets and console are different, like conversion truck would have. And that cab badge is interesting; looks like they have GM approval to use their design?
Neat looking truck in any case.
I appreciate it. I actually had trouble trying to insure it via the VIN through USAA online. Their VIN lookup couldn't automatically validate this truck and I had to call and talk to somebody so they could do whatever they needed to do to get it insured. I wondered if it wasn't because of the Red-E-Kamp upfitting but the rep I spoke to wasn't sure why their system couldn't automatically locate it either o_O

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if it was an upfitted Camper Special kinda thing... Go to Your local GM Dealer, ask the PARTS DEPT to run it. it will break down the RPO Codes that are in the Glove Box.... See what it says.. I get one for every GM I have

Attachments

• 2GTEC19KXS1551714.pdf
    917.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post says Red E Kamp was out of Mira Loma California and converted Dodge vans as well.

Edit: Fords too.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media