97 K1500 missing under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paulpolar600

Reaction score
Hey I just joined and I really hate this to be my first post but this thing is driving me batty! I've got a 97 k1500 with about 188,000 miles. Runs phenomenal while driving like an old lady, but step on it or try going up a remotely steep incline and it cuts out or misses. It will eventually pull past the miss and take off just sort of stumbles. There is no SES light.

Things I've done:
Replaced Ignition coil (ACCEL)
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Fuel filter
Spark Plug Wires

Within the past two years or 10,000 miles
Fuel pump
Bosch platinum plugs
Ignition control module? (right next to the coil)

Any direction in fixing this would be absolutely terrific, I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump isn't giving the correct pressure while under a load?? But as with the rest of the parts I've replaced this is just a guess.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
first off. :welcome: and you may want to throw some acdelco plugs on there. These vortec motors don't like to much else but ac Delco.

3 x a charm

Reaction score
i recently had a "miss" also. i pulled the distributer out and fount the teeth on it were worn down. i put in a used dist.($10) and it hasn't missed yet.

Paulpolar600

Reaction score
Alright yea I remember a few years ago we had the distributor gear replaced. Probably 60-70k miles ago? I'll pick up a set of plugs tonight and price a gear. You can replace just the gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The ACCEL ignition coil could be crap too. Never had anything from ACCEL that worked out of the box even.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
You can try some NGK plugs too. 3951 PN for autozone. I run those and CR44's

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
If you have access to a scanner-- While driving monitor Long Term Fuel Trim BANK 1 and 2 to see if it's pulling fuel. Could be a bad tube on the injection OR regulator?

-Truckin-

Paulpolar600

Reaction score
I got a cheap Mac tool scanner that does data so I'll check it out on my way home. I just ordered a taskmaster that will be here next week. I replaced the coil bc of this problem so unless they were both bad I don't think that is an issue but nothing would surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulpolar600

Reaction score
Well just to clarify what the problem was, I dropped the fuel tank down and pulled the sending unit out and found the sock was covered in a gel substance. I ended up putting a new sock, tank, acdelco fuel pump and filler neck while I was there. This did resolve the problem tho I think I would have been fine with just another sock. I'm not entirely sure what the gel was? I was thinking maybe the ethanol breaking something down?? Anywho thanks for all the help.