96 Z71 305 with 4L60E tranny problem and shift points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a problem or not. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the normal shift points are with a 305/4L60E? I don't notice any noises, grinding, etc... but sometimes I feel like I'm in 4th for a long time before OD kicks in. I have been busy working out some braking problems so I haven't completely diagnosed it but it just seems like every now and then it takes a while to get into OD. And honestly it could be that I'm in 3rd and it takes a while to get into 4th... like I said I haven't really tried to diagnose it, and I don't drive very far to work each day, so just wanted to put some feelers out there and get any advice you guys have.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It sounds like the torque converter is not locking. It is normal to take it a few miles if it is cold, it will not engage until the engine comes up to temp. After it is warm mine locked up around 39-40mph under light throttle.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know very little about trannys and torque converters. But from what you say, I'll try and start watching it and see if it only happens when cold. I've had a 5.7L for the past 10 years so I'm sure it's partly just my brain adjusting to the new motor and stuff. Definitely different.