96 suburban 4l80e dash command trans temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
New owner to a 96 GMC K2500 7.4l Suburban with 4l80e. I’m looking for some guidance. I purchased rig to haul a 5900lb travel trailer.
That said I’d like to monitor the trans temp and my understanding is you can thru existing sensor is the harness.
So, I purchased Veepeak OBD Bluetooth scanner and dash command with additional PIDS for 96 GMC.

I don’t have option for trans temp in the data grid in supported or all PIDS. This is after validating the PIDS on my rig.

Can anyone confirm that 96 4l80e indeed have temp sensor in trans?

Dash command told me if they’re not populated in app after scanning that I do not have.

Thanks in advance!

New guy

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
New owner to a 96 GMC K2500 7.4l Suburban with 4l80e. I’m looking for some guidance. I purchased rig to haul a 5900lb travel trailer.
That said I’d like to monitor the trans temp and my understanding is you can thru existing sensor is the harness.
So, I purchased Veepeak OBD Bluetooth scanner and dash command with additional PIDS for 96 GMC.

I don’t have option for trans temp in the data grid in supported or all PIDS. This is after validating the PIDS on my rig.

Dash command told me if they’re not populated in app after scanning that I do not have.

Thanks in advance!

New guy
Sorry, didn’t get to your PM quicker. Did you buy the extended GM 1996 from DashCommand yet? It’s an extra $10.00, but worth it and needed.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

New guy
Yes, it's part of the internal transmission harness.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t get to your PM quicker. Did you buy the extended GM 1996 from DashCommand yet? It’s an extra $10.00, but worth it and needed.
No problem, I’m anxious. I did purchase the additional 96 GM PIDS. Nothing showing trans temp.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click on “Data Grid”
You must be registered for see images attach

Then click “Add PID”

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then click on “General”

Then click and add check mark for TFT:
(choose °F or °C)

Then go back to “Data Grid” and scroll through and you should see it.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then click on “General”

Then click and add check mark for TFT:
(choose °F or °C)

Then go back to “Data Grid” and scroll through and you should see it.
ok, so gm.engine.tft is the PID for the trans?

After searching the threads I thought it would be in the transmission sub-folder and I needed gm.trans.tft.

Thx again!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so gm.engine.tft is the PID for the trans?

After searching the threads I thought it would be in the transmission sub-folder and I needed gm.trans.tft.

Thx again!
That makes too much sense!

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes too much sense!
One would think!!

So did you then just rename to trans and set the high low limits appropriate for trans temps?

I see you have a digital pillar gauge on your truck. Are they still reading close, when towing?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think!!

So did you then just rename to trans and set the high low limits appropriate for trans temps?

I see you have a digital pillar gauge on your truck. Are they still reading close, when towing?
You can do that, I have one set like that, but I mostly just read it off the Data Grid. The digital gauge typically reads 10°-12° lower. That sensor is in the test port. The OE sensor in transmission reads temps quicker, more real time. The aftermarket is still good, not that much slower.