96+ steering shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nca2013

Reaction score
I've been searching for weeks about these rag joints in the steering shafts. Mines shot, and I can't find a kit anywhere with the right size disc to repair mine, and there really isn't any information about what to do on 96+ trucks. Anybody fixed or modified theirs to the jeep style like the 88-95 trucks can do? I don't want to spend $300 on a custom shaft. And I've found a few in the junkyard of NBS trucks and jeeps but it would require a lot of modification to fit properly. Just wanna know what other people with 96+ trucks have done to correct this issue.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
afaik you can use the jeep shaft up to 96, but 97+ with the 'speed sensitive steering' or 3 rag joint setup it isn't safe to without bracing the new shaft to the firewall/frame rail to limit deflection.

Nca2013

Reaction score
So what do you do when you need to replace the rag joint? I can't find any parts stores with one that will fit, and I've looked in a few junkyards but all the shafts I found had the same play as mine. I have a 97 with the speed sensitive crap.

Nca2013

Reaction score
Would this be the same as a NBS pickup truck? I had a NBS bottom end in my hand to day at the pick a part but I figured it wouldn't fit my top because it had a much wider tube the the factory lower shaft.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Continue onto the 2nd page in that link Scott posted.

Update.

I posted, somewhere here on the forum, that after I had done this mod, I had to remove it. Reason being that the alignment shop would not have anything to do with the vehicle until it was removed.
I did not tell them about the mod when I took it to the shop. The tech. only drove it from the front of the shop to the rear. As soon as he got out, he popped the hood and saw the jeep shaft. He called me over and said that he knew of this mod in these trucks, but it only worked on pre-'97 models. Then he showed me why. Due to the '97+ models having a third universal behind the firewall, inside the cab, the shaft would have a tendency to move off-center, excessively. He demonstrated this by grabbing the shaft and moving it up & down about 2 or 3 inches off-center. (!) He said that during some situations, where the vehicle was being turned left-to-right-to-left, quickly, there would be excessive movement of the shaft and that not only would the steering be effected, but that there could be a possibility of the shaft moving so far off-center that it would have a tendency to bind. This is caused by the jeep shaft having an additional universal.
Damn!!!
But, there is a solution for the '97+ trucks.
This is a part for hot-rods, which have more than 2 universals in the steering shaft in order to clear frame/exhaust/suspension components. The part is fairly cheap, & is an accepted way to stabilize steering shafts. I've seen many. many hot-rods with this component. You just have to fab it up to work on these trucks. Usually mounts to the frame, but I've seen some that had to reach a bit further than the parts reach, so they have been modded into a turn buckle for the extra length required. With jam nuts, off course.
There are lots of different manufacturers of this part, with several I.D.'s to fit the appropriate size shaft. Usually in the $20.00-$30.00 range. I plan to do this, but at the moment, I have too many paying projects in my shop to work on my own vehicles. I will post up pix when it is done.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flaming-River/Flaming-River-Steering-Shaft-Support-Bearings/1183260/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-3-4-Steering-Shaft-Support/1225469/10002/-1

This is another solution that I may try. A steady bearing mounted to the firewall where the shaft comes into the engine bay from the interior.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firewall-Mount-Flanged-Bearing,2044.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firewall-Mount-Steering-Shaft-Bearing-3-4-Inch-Shaft-Size,6845.html

Nca2013

Reaction score
Has anybody just replaced the rubber in the joint? Dorman makes a help kit, I think the part number is like 31005 or around there but the disc is about twice the size then the one in my 97. I can't find any other parts locally

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Has anybody just replaced the rubber in the joint? Dorman makes a help kit, I think the part number is like 31005 or around there but the disc is about twice the size then the one in my 97. I can't find any other parts locally

I seem to recall some reference to people using that one and cutting it down to size, but don't quote me on that.

I think it was on FSC IIRC...

Nca2013

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna try to drill 4 new holes on the same disc, have a junkyard lower shaft in the vice now and the holes for the rivets are what wore out. The holes are stretched. I'm gonna drill new holes in the old disc and use bigger bolts and tighten it up with a impact and see where it goes from there

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna try to drill 4 new holes on the same disc, have a junkyard lower shaft in the vice now and the holes for the rivets are what wore out. The holes are stretched. I'm gonna drill new holes in the old disc and use bigger bolts and tighten it up with a impact and see where it goes from there

Very bad idea....:(