96 CCLB 3500 7.4 only has 25 gallon tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New sending unit can help; they're -usually- the problem, though the gauges aren't the greatest either. Fortunately for you it's an fairly inexpensive experiment, with the 96 pickups being the last full year of the separate sending unit. In other words the skeleton style sender that you can easily remove the pump from, and they're sold separately. If you were a late 97-up, it would have the "plastic trash can" style where the pump is inside a plastic container that also has the sending unit attached. About $300 for a good one.

The separate style sender is about $75 or so...unless you wanna spend AC Delco money, that one is about $200. (oo! or $152 at Amazon though it shows only 1 left in stock)

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I did that and had to either drop the tank or pull the bed would it be a good thing to just throw a new pump in at the same time and keep the one in there as a spare?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to do the pump and the pigtail connector to it if you're gonna go in there. I prefer lifting the bed, to me it's easier than dropping the tank - and I've done plenty of both. Go with AC Delco or Delphi, ONLY, on the pump - or you'll be sorry later. If you shop around you'll find those pumps aren't but a few bucks more than the lesser brands.

Don't forget the sock (strainer) while you're at it and a new filter for the frame rail. (though I think you did one recently right?)

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will give replacing it a try later down the road. I'm going to run it lower when I can drive again to see how low it will go on that last eighth of a tank.

It feels like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer gets in the rental car and they see how far they can drive and their anxiety and panic builds as the needle drops farther and farther beyond E.

Does anyone by chance know if the fuel light comes on at a position on the gauge or a calculated number of gallons left based on the sending unit?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk