96 c1500 trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So i'm helping a friend fix up his new 500$ truck. its a 96 c1500 ecsb and the trans only has first and second. from what i understand this is something to do with the shift clutches and it likley needs rebuilt, I'm having trouble sourcing an affordable transmission. whats all involved in rebuilding these guys?

I have no previous experience inside a trans, but i know my way around the rest of the truck pretty well.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's one of the most common failures....the 3/4 clutch burns out. If your going for cheap, start with a banner kit, 3/4 steels, band, filter, 3/4 molded piston, and a pressure control solenoid. That's kinda the bear minimum I would put into it. Oh and a converter.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
It's one of the most common failures....the 3/4 clutch burns out. If your going for cheap, start with a banner kit, 3/4 steels, band, filter, 3/4 molded piston, and a pressure control solenoid. That's kinda the bear minimum I would put into it. Oh and a converter.

we opted for a junkyard trans, after pricing the rebuid parts a used one was cheaper. It came with a used converter, and i have the orig converter. is there a way to check if its still good or not?

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the trans or the converter?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
converter i was referring too, I think its all good though. we got the new (junkyard) trans and converter in and it seems to work. is there any tricks to getting the flywheel cover back on? It looks like removing the oil filter may help. other than that it all seems to be good, took a little while to get the fluid level right, but it gets at least 3rd gear now (didnt try for 4th as it needs tires and has a seized caliper.

on a side note, it seems to have a little more motor shake when idling, could this be related to the trans? (there is a small leak at the pass collector that i'm thinking may play a good part in the shake as well)
thanks for the info so far.