95 Yukon GT 4L60E Catastrophic Failure - Grenaded at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had right around $450 In parts, TC, cooler, internals, gaskets, and fluids. And $250 in labor if I did the R&R or extra $150 for them to R&R. Of course mine is 2wd so it is a little easier.

I would get at least 3 estimates and take into consideration their warranty. Some shops will offer extended warranties as well. On my dodge trans I paid a extra $100 for a 5 yr 50k warranty.

HighCaliber

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. The cheapest quote I received was through a friend who is a shop owner who farms out tranny work.

I do not know the warranty on this "cheaper" rebuild. I am hoping that the case did not crack. He asked me if I looked at the transfer case yet because that might be my problem, not the transmission. I have not because of my current work schedule and the foot of snow we got this week.

For whoever asked earlier, I live on the East End of Long Island...the boonies. The further East you get the more expensive @ $3,000 to R&R mine.

Last edited:

HighCaliber

Reaction score
The shop called with a diagnosis and just added $500 more dollars to my repair bill.

He said "The transmission case is cracked at the tail end. Your rear universal of the front drive shaft failed and the shaft spun around and crashed into the side of your transmission, totaling it. You need a new case, front drive shaft and universals because the shaft is damaged too."

I gave the ok for all the repairs because I have no vehicle to commute to work.....so now I'm over the $2,000+ dollar mark.

WTF man. I've never bought a car (and I've had 20+) that broke down the first month I had it. I am hoping this is not a lemon. Because I just found out I am the sixth owner and the previous two owners only had the truck 12 months and 8 months respectively. Sounds too shady.

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Maybe not, sounds like it may could use a good checking over tho if the drive shaft fell out of it tho. Most things on these trucks are not too bad to fix if you catch it before it falls off. That would have been a $20 universal joint 5 mins before that happened.

HighCaliber

Reaction score
Maybe not, sounds like it may could use a good checking over tho if the drive shaft fell out of it tho. Most things on these trucks are not too bad to fix if you catch it before it falls off. That would have been a $20 universal joint 5 mins before that happened.

I am hoping so and that dawned on me 5 minutes after the phone call and the work it needs set in. I still can't believe this ...a universal joint failure smoked my transmission.

HighCaliber

Reaction score
$2,200 and I got my truck back a few days ago. Insult to injury....somebody backed into it at the supermarket. They left scene without info so now I have to get my front bumper repaired.

Truck runs amazing. There is no vibration in the driveline and 4wd works amazing too. I am happy with my results and will eventually pay it off so back to enjoying my rig.