95 K1500 Misfiring / Stalling / Maybe Lean Condition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upstate1500

Reaction score
Recently I noticed i was having an occasional misfire at idle and even worse under load. Through a few weeks the condition got work, it was barely drivable so i decided to change the plugs.
Ran alot better.

Also, why do my plugs look like this...(Images below)
I replaced cap, rotor, ignition module, wires and plugs 6 months ago....And then again last week.
Also whenever i goto the car wash, the car begins misfiring. Most recently it stalled in the car wash.

Im thinking maybe a vacuum leak or intake gasket leak? thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something getting wet and arcing out, in all likelihood. Coil could be a culprit, or your distributor isn't venting moisture properly. If possible, try pulling the distributor cap and spraying the inside with WD40 and wiping it out when this happens. If it cures it, it is moisture in the cap. If you can get your hands on a known good coil without purchasing one, that would be a good thing to swap too. If either cures the issue, you have your problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

axlshaft

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen twice years back. The coil encapsulate broke down and was arching to ground when it got damp out. So I replaced coil, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, etc. Then 9 months later it came back. This time it was the coil wire shorting out on the air cleaner. A combination of the coil wire rubbing on the air cleaner and the cheap Auto Zone wires I bought. Both times I could see the spark arching to ground when it was dark and I was looking in the area of the coil.

Those plugs look nasty, especially in the top pic 2nd one from the right. Looks as if you might be burning coolant. Is your coolant level down?

upstate1500

Reaction score
This truck .... stalled on me in the drive through, spent much of the day misfiring and stumbling.... then seems like it runs normal now...

Yea the coolant level is down
I got the truck Nov 2014 with 134k I topped off the reservoir then, this morning at around 155k for kicks i checked it again and it was bone dry. I don't see or smell any leaks so I must be burning it.

Also I was suspect of that intake manifold gasket so I sprayed around the throttle body and intake manifold with some starting fluid and listened for any surging... Didnt hear anything. I think the previous owner mentioned replacing that gasket... plus it looks newish...

I've got a flame thrower coil that i ran for a few months, until the summer hit and then it kept blowing ignition modules until i put the stock coil back in.

I supposed I have that flame thrower coil i could test with...

What are a good brand of ignition components to go with ?

I was thinking of doing a compression test and a coolant system pressure test.... And ill throw in that flamethrower coil for kicks.. Any other thoughts?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with BWD's P series parts. Quality stuff with ACDelco level pricing. Delco stuff is reasonable. Honestly, I would scour the junkyards and collect a few coils and ignition modules and go from there.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, possible but not likely. One, you should really check it more often. Not to harp, but it's just good practice, because if it really accelerated then you could run completely dry and cause real damage. You probably have a small seep or drip while hot. It is small and evaporates before you see it. Pressure testing the system is a great idea, because it's safer and what small leak you have won't evaporate before you find it and track it down.

Jacob

Reaction score
I would say you have a coolant leak internally but that bad you would notice I would think. You probably need to replace the O2 sensor also. If the plugs look that bad the O2 isn't going to be much better.

What year and motor is it?