94 z71 running rich need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chvyhrtbt91

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post on here love the forum so I decided to join. I have a 94 z71 ec stepside. It has an 80's 350 with 305 heads and factory tbi manifold and tb. This thing runs great but it's very rich for the first little while I drive it and at idle it'll smoke out an area with blue smoke and raw fuel smell. I replaced the cts and it helped alot(wouldnt even start it was so rich and flooding before) and I changed plugs. I have a ses light on but I don't have an obd1 scanner. Any ideas of my issue? Pretty soon I'm going to ditch my tbi and Carb it if I can't sort this out.
Thanks
Paul

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No scanner needed.... paper clip ole piece of wire will do the trick... connect a and b on the connector then turn the key to the on position.... will flash each number 3 times via the engine light...
It will pause between each number... real easy to understand when you actually do it...

sent from what use to be a great nation...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But could be alot of differant things... tps issues, map issues, egr issues, bad fuel regulator issues, and so on..... when you say you did the cts, with one did you do as there are two.. the one in the side of the head is for the gauge and the one by the thermostat is for the computer...

Chvyhrtbt91

Reaction score
I replaced the sensor in the intake by the thermostat. It seemed to lean it out some but I'm still running rich and my temp gauge doesn't work so maybe I need the other as well. Where do I hook a wire up to read the codes? Obd1 is new to me I'm only used to plugging in my obd2 scanner. I've had 6 GMT400 trucks but never had issues like this before. I love my truck I recently got it because it reminded me of my old truck. I should start a build thread and post pics

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have an automatic transmission you will need an aftermarket tranny controller if you go carb...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obd1 plug is right by ypu knee area under the dash... looks real similar to an obd2 plug..

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have an O2 sensor still in the exhaust?

Chvyhrtbt91

Reaction score
OK I'm going to read my codes at lunch time today. I still have an o2 sensor I was thinking that could be bad. As far as needing a stand alone computer for my trans if I went carb, could I just unplug tb and leave everything else hooked up?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope.... the trans needs the tps input for shifting info....

Chvyhrtbt91

Reaction score
Great. I'm hoping that its not because its an older engine. Looks like everything is hooked up right and not hacked together but maybe I'll be looking for a correct engine for it. I want to make it through summer on this one then build one over winter while its put away.