94 Yukon ac control unit issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've got a 94 Yukon with the digital ac control unit, worked perfectly until last year, it no longer turns on and if does turn on, if I adjust the blower speed past the 2 speed the module turns off. If the truck sits for a large amount of time the module might turn on. I'm stumped on what it could be, I've plugged in a new module, hooked up the multimeter and just basically everything I can try. Any help would be appreciated.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New, or different control head, with same problem? Is the second control head a confirmed good unit? What did you do with the multimeter? If I was doing it, you should download the factory service service manuals vol 1 and vol 2, for your '94, there here in forum for free. There is good info to test further. I have not worked on my 93 in a while, so I would have to dig in manual also. These are way better than any Haynes or Chilton's.

Reaction score
New, or different control head, with same problem? Is the second control head a confirmed good unit? What did you do with the multimeter? If I was doing it, you should download the factory service service manuals vol 1 and vol 2, for your '94, there here in forum for free. There is good info to test further. I have not worked on my 93 in a while, so I would have to dig in manual also. These are way better than any Haynes or Chilton's.
It was a dorman rebuilt unit and a working module outta of a buddies truck and both don't work. I should mention this all happened after having an issue with my headlight switch panel not functioning properly so after jiggling it to function properly my truck shortaged out turned off and turned back on instantly and that's when the ac control module issue happened. Worse comes to worse and I'll have to run new wires to the ac stuff to get fixed

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, well that's a whole different ball game. The manuals will still help, a lot.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if I should hijack this thread or start a new one?
Wanting to replace my working ac controller GM
16177075 for one that has brackets and bulbs but I ordered one from Epay and the unit sent, GM 15169225, only had one speed working. It seemed like it was stuck on a medium speed and the low and medium setting didn't change the speed. When going to high speed, the fan would just shut off, but the compressor stayed on so I'm guessing it was fan related.
Here's a link to a video. Sound works on YouTube. Doesn't seem to come through on here?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I returned it and the seller sent another unit GM
16188335 and it's doing the exact same thing?
My old unit works fine. There's a video of it on my YT as well.
Seems weird that 2 units would behave the same. Any idea if it's some kind of compatibility issue? The parts cross reference afaik. The Dorman replacement has all these models interchangeable.
Probably going to check out a scrap yard but, was trying to avoid the hour drive to the coast.
It's a bit confusing on Car-Part.com,they have the 3 speed option with recirc or the 4 speed option with max. Mine is 3 speed with max?
Vehicle: YUKON CLASSIC 2 DR 1/2 TON Year: 1993 Build Date: 1993-04-07

Last edited:

Vincent

Reaction score
Not sure if I should hijack this thread or start a new one?
Wanting to replace my working ac controller GM
16177075 for one that has brackets and bulbs but I ordered one from Epay and the unit sent, GM 15169225, only had one speed working. It seemed like it was stuck on a medium speed and the low and medium setting didn't change the speed. When going to high speed, the fan would just shut off, but the compressor stayed on so I'm guessing it was fan related.
Here's a link to a video. Sound works on YouTube. Doesn't seem to come through on here?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I returned it and the seller sent another unit GM
16188335 and it's doing the exact same thing?
My old unit works fine. There's a video of it on my YT as well.
Seems weird that 2 units would behave the same. Any idea if it's some kind of compatibility issue? The parts cross reference afaik. The Dorman replacement has all these models interchangeable.
Probably going to check out a scrap yard but, was trying to avoid the hour drive to the coast.
It's a bit confusing on Car-Part.com,they have the 3 speed option with recirc or the 4 speed option with max. Mine is 3 speed with max?
Vehicle: YUKON CLASSIC 2 DR 1/2 TON Year: 1993 Build Date: 1993-04-07

Honestly I would call the dealer and give them your vin number and they can tell you the exact part number, I’m always weary about interchangeable part numbers.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
give them your vin number and they can tell you the exact part number
Thanks. I'll try that ..For some reason, the last time I went to the dealership for a part and asked the parts guy to look up a couple of other parts for me, he said they don't give out parts numbers usually although he ended up doing me that favor. Not sure why.

The part number that comes up on the GM sites using my VIN is GM 15169225 (replaced by GM 19370283). FWIW.

The 19370283 replaces
16179568, 16204867, 16204866, 16178767, 16192595, 15169225, 16177555

The original unit sent by the seller was the GM 15169225 .
My original one(I'm only assuming original) is
GM 16177075... Very confusing for sure.

The Dorman site lists all the direct fits which is quite a bit but who knows. Why this link shows a broom on this page, I have no idea.lol

One thing I've noticed about getting things for this truck is that sometimes aftermarket or oe parts seem to be thrown out there to see if they'll stick.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to update my scenario, I ended up getting another nice looking control unit from another seller that was listed as not working. Was going to just use it for the case with brackets and maybe a button or two since mine worked already.
The unit I got actually worked...

So the first 2 I got from the one seller could have had something wrong with them. Stinks because I lost $17 shipping the 1st one back to him and never got reimbursed for that because I didn't actually file a return on it. Was just getting a swap for the second attempt. Of course when I filed a return after the second one didn't work, I got my original shipping and price of the unit back.

Left the guy a neutral feedback explaining how 2 didn't work "for me" and how I lost shipping costs and Epay deleted it.Feel for the next person that gets it. Note to self, just return items and buy different ones if someone offers to swap a different item so you at least don't lose shipping when trying to work it out with a seller. Unless they send a label or something. Even then, what if a different one never arrives..

Last edited: