94 Sierra 4x4 - LS Swap intentions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread for a learning curve in LS engine swaps. The plan for this truck years ago was slap the biggest lift and tires I can find under her. That never happened and with good reason. After spending the last 3 years bringing this girl back to a reliable state of workmanship (most of which in the last 8 months thanks to GMT400.com) my ideas for the truck sure have changed. Now I want to turn these ideas into a reality. First of all, there is a lot that I am unsure of when it comes to the LS swap everyone (especially myself) drools about.

From pulling knowledge out of my head(what little is there, hah!) what I know is this:

I will need:
1) LQ4 6.0 Engine - 2002 or older - as to not screw with drive by wire.

2) Wiring Harness - Most likely will buy stand alone harness

3) ECM - ECM, Harness, Engine from same truck.

3a) PCM - ?

4) Adapter for NV4500 to LS engines

5) Tune - The 6.0 will stay all stock until I decide to rebuild the entire engine, it'll get a cam and maybe headers when that happens, but that's about it. Depends on mileage.

6) Engine Mounts - Dirty Dingo

7) Fuel Pump. AC Delco EP-381 (Will I need to do any wiring? Or is it plug and play?)

8) - - Anything else please let me know as I'm sure I haven't knocked this one outta the park yet, lol.

Notes: I will NOT be using air conditioner, did not come factory in truck, really don't need it anyhow. (AC Makes me cough, I don't know why, need to have the windows down)

Current:
1994 GMC Sierra SL 4x4.
5.0L TBI
NV3500
10 bolt bomb.

Intentions:
6.0 LQ4
NV4500
14b FF rear.
20 MPG :)

Just want to say this: Have a $0.02 opinion or tid bit of info that can in anyway make my life or someone elses life a whole lot easier?
Throw it down in here!
Thanks guys!

Helpful Links etc.
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/Lisa Tahoe.pdf

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
wiring harness you can use a stock one and repin it or you can make it standalone, or buy a standalone. id go with the stock truck ecm that you pull the engine out of. engine harness and computer from the same vehicle would make it easier.
as you know from the tuning thread. it will make a substaintial difference. even a dynotune on many of my friends stock ls1's have opened up a world of power. for mounts use transdapt or something like that. i think you need adjustable or 1" set back mounts.

i call dibs on your aldl cable and obd1 tuning stuff! =)

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Looking forward to what other people have to say. I am also considering doing this with my 92 instead of building my 350tbi.
There is tons of info about 6.0L Ls swap with a NV4500 here > http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...4-with-NV4500-Conversion-Jam-packed-with-info

For the price tag, I see it to be well worth swapping to a newer motor rather than buy & build a 350. I've only got the 305 so I'll be picking up a different engine/block regardless
And yeah I've read it a few times now, still going back through to organize my thoughts.

wiring harness you can use a stock one and repin it or you can make it standalone, or buy a standalone. id go with the stock truck ecm that you pull the engine out of. engine harness and computer from the same vehicle would make it easier.
as you know from the tuning thread. it will make a substaintial difference. even a dynotune on many of my friends stock ls1's have opened up a world of power. for mounts use transdapt or something like that. i think you need adjustable or 1" set back mounts.

i call dibs on your aldl cable and obd1 tuning stuff! =)

Engine Harness & ECM from same truck as the engine, okay. If I buy a standalone harness will it replace the engine harness itself?
And yeah I've seen theres a few different style engine mounts, I see the dirty dingo mounts are adjustable so I'll most likely go that route.
Tuning it will definitely be in the works once she's in and running.
And yeah the only OBD1 stuff I have is the cable, the rest is my personal laptop and downloaded software (tunerproRT)
I may keep the cable to help out my buddies when I can, most of them are upgrading to newer vehicles anyhow so it'll probably go for sale eventually hah

I say cam amd headers to start with, no point pullin the motor back out to do it later
It'll be a budget swap when the time comes, if cam & headers makes the cut, they'll be there to start with.
If I get a low-mile engine I'll spend the time for the extra power. We'll see though, all depends on the power plant I find