93 Swb- 454 swap from 6cyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’ve got a 93 swb gmc and the old 6 is tired. 268k miles only replaced the ac compressor and the ac controls inside. I got a deal on a gm performance 454 crate engine for 2100$ so I took it. Now the build starts. I have lots of questions as it’s my first real build. Such as do I have to get a stand-alone system for the engine or do I just send out the computer and have it redone like I’ve seen some people do? Also, the new engine has the alternator and ac but as I go through this truck is the heater something I’ll have to account for? I have a whole new suspension already purchased and am accounting for the front end weight before you guys start jumping on me about that. The initial plan is drop in the 454, and the performance 4l80 rated for 650hp. I don’t know what rear to go with yet but I do want my highway gears so I can handle a 1-2 hour drive no problem. The Edelbrock heads and throttle body injection system I'm putting on the motor will get me around 500hp and 551 pound feet I’m told. So as far as engine management, ignition, and gauges all working together in harmony..... any suggestions or anybody have done this swap before? I’ve looked through the forum a bit but I’ve seen people went from the vortec to the 454 so I’m hoping I can get help too.

Reaction score
Also before I get asked- the truck will be painted black and the roll pan has already been replaced and the taillights are just led strip under the tailgate. Yes the tailgate and taillights are shaved and the truck is now dropped 2 inches and leveled. But the engine is out and the rear needs swapped and I’m waiting for the transmission to arrive.

Reaction score
The Stock TBI injection works good if you only make 230hp after that forget about it...
You could make it work but I believe you would be better off with one of these...
http://www.jegs.com/i/FITech-Fuel-Injection/546/30002/10002/-1

Thanks for that. I actually looked into an Edelbrock tbi kit that handles up to 650hp. The kit has an android tablet and lots of controls and settings to adjust. But I don’t know where to begin as far as the computer for the truck and making sure it shifts at the right rpm and all the controls inside function properly.

David Cruz

Reaction score
If you can find the right ECM, you could use that to control the 4L80E if you don't want to spend big $ on a stand alone controller like MSD or TCI make. http://mattw.dyndns.org/4L80E/

I'm planning on going with an MSD Atomic EFI setup on my HT502 when my bank account allows for it, right now I'm just running a 750cfm street demon...

Reaction score
I’m considering a carb setup for simplicity until I figure everything out. There’s a guy I messaged with about pcm reformatting and he can do it with anything as long as I provide the specs for the engine and the specs for the transmission as well. This place is called sinister performance and they respond rather quickly. I picked up the 454 Saturday. Cast iron heads and such. I am about to swap to the Edelbrock aluminum heads and a new cam. If anyone wants the unused cast iron setup and cam just let me know. If nobody wants it I’ll put it on eBay.

David Cruz

Reaction score
That place seems cool, I might have to look them up to setup a tow/haul mode for me... Sounds like you're gonna have a good breathing 454 in there.

Reaction score
Hoping to. I used to have a cold air intake on a throttle body injected 350 so I may try that again and have a functional hood ram air hood. None of that fiberglass add on stuff here. Talked to a friend that suggested doing double battery, double alternator, electric fans, electric water pump and never have to worry about cranking amperage or gauge fluttering and a performance fuel pump can run no problems. And as always- anyone with input or advice or suggestions. Send em my way! Thanks in advance. And FYI- I’ll be buying my new top end kit second week of April.