93 K1500 5.7 erratic idle on first start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeMTBR

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been a long time guest reader of this site but my day has finally come and i need some help. I have a 1993 K1500 with a stock 5.7 6-month old GM long block. Every day when i first start the truck it fires right up and starts to idle erratically for about a minute and runs fine after. I can let the truck sit all day after driving it and fire it up again and it runs great. I was a certified John Deere Ag mechanic for 6 years so i like to think i know my way around a multimeter and torue wrench but i'm in no way a seasoned auto mechanic.

The problem started a few weeks after i installed the long block. For the install i rebuilt the TBI and replaced the fuel pump and all engine sensors. For replacement parts i used ACDelco when available but i have a few things like the IAC and TPS that are some off brand from Orileys but test out ok. Yes the EGR valve is a new ACDelco part.

The first thing that comes to mind when i see a problem like this is to check the CTS, EGR, IAC, and fuel pressure. Everything checks out fine and its pulling the correct amount of vacuum. I uploaded this video https://youtu.be/i2XjhGxxDHo of me starting the truck today for the first time. Some days it will idle for about 10 seconds before it starts to run rough until warm (closed/open loop?). I don't have anything to read live data so i think that's my next step. The truck has been at two different local shops but neither could find the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Mike

MikeMTBR

Reaction score
Found the problem. The right side intake gasket was leaking around the EGR port and sucking in oil from the valley. Intake was not warped so I just installed it again last week, so far so good.