92 Suburban TBI Distributor/Timing Disaster!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got a 1992 K1500 Suburban TBI/350 147k miles

Well... I thought it would be a good idea to get a new distributor...

So here is what happened...

I didnt check the position of the old one before I pulled it. ( though it was about time to replace it, there was all kinds of play in it)

So of course when I put it back in where I thought it should be it didnt start. Big Surprise :(

Time to start from scratch...

As I understand it, bring the #1 piston to the top of the compression stroke. Install the dizzy with the rotor pointing to the terminal that will be #1
Then, install the wires starting from the designated #1 terminal and follow clockwise the correct firing order.

Ah yes... this proved harder than I thought.

The way the spark plug holes are oriented, it isnt too easy to slide something in there and watch it rise with the piston.
SO I took the valve cover off and watched for both the intake and exhaust valves to be closed, which I assume would be the compression stroke,
at this time I placed my finger over the plug hole and felt the compression. as the compression stopped, with both valves still up, I assume that this was TDC/compression on the #1 cylinder.

I installed the distributor and found where the rotor was pointed, assuming that this was #1, I installed the wires clockwise from there in the correct order.

WELL... this didnt make it.

The engine turns over but wont start. The engine turns for a few seconds just fine, then it sounds like its struggling to turn over (like a weak battery, though the battery is fine its only a week old as is the alt) no chugging or backfiring at all...

SO I know that I am still getting fuel, because I can smell it and there is fuel inside the TBI unit.
I know that I am getting spark also.
Battery and Alt are good, so I am getting solid power.
The truck fired up just fine before I got started.

Am I way off on how I figured out getting to #1 TDC?

Is there some other tool that I need to make this happen?

The last time I installed a new distributor, it was on a 78 Toyota and it took me all of 5 minutes and the truck ran great.

Ive really blown it on this one.
Help, suggestions, ridicule all welcome

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the wires are right,#1 wire should be facing #1 cylinder.I always bumped the starter until i felt the #1 cylinder pushing out air then put the balancer on 0* then install the distributor.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say " then put the balancer on 0*"

What do you mean? If I turn the balancer after i have TDC... wont that make it so its not TDC anymore?