92 C1500 Steering Wheel Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I love this truck but I miss the much nicer 95+ interior. Biggest annoyance is this AWFUL steering wheel that just isn't comfortable for longer drives. Any suggestions? O'Reilly sells those aftermarket steering wheels with install kit/adapters, but they aren't exactly cheap. Anybody here tried those? And what happens to the horn when you use those aftermarket steering wheels?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what you like and how much you want to spend.

I've put several Grant leather/aluminum steering wheels in my pre-'95 GMT400's and really like them. You end up around $250 invested in the wheel and the much nicer billet aluminum adapter kit vs. the ugly rubber boot thing that comes with the wheel. Most of their wheels are around 14" vs. the stock which is like 16".

Any quality wheel replacement will have horn attachment parts so you don't lose that functionality.

I'd skip the cheaper wheels; that vinyl-coated foam rubber crap doesn't hold up. The leather on my Grant wheels held up very nicely over the years with literally no attention whatsoever.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man, the flash really washed out the gray on the one in my old '92. In natural light it matched the interior much better.

Richard

Eric1998

Reaction score

I put this wheel in my son's 1991 1500

mistaake

Reaction score
Thanks for your input folks, I'm curious, @someotherguy , how comfortable was the four-spoke (second picture) one? That one looks the best... IDK why but I just don't love the look of the three-spoke ones.

And what about pulling the steering wheel out of a 95+ truck, will that attach? I've always found those comfortable to hold for long drives.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the new interior don't fit without modification, as they changed the steering column after 94. (Anyone to verify 100%)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The splines on the 95-up wheel are the same, so it will fit the shaft - but it's got a LOT deeper dish to contain the airbag, so on the older column the wheel will be a lot closer to you. Even the 3/4 and 1 ton wheel that has no airbag is shaped the same so it wouldn't help to try that one.

That 4 spoke wheel was OK; I did find that every once in a while I would catch my fingers in it while making turns. Not to make it sound like it was dangerous or anything, just slightly annoying from time to time. Seemed to me like it was due to just less open area between the spokes vs. the 3 spoke design.

Richard

mistaake

Reaction score
The splines on the 95-up wheel are the same, so it will fit the shaft - but it's got a LOT deeper dish to contain the airbag, so on the older column the wheel will be a lot closer to you. Even the 3/4 and 1 ton wheel that has no airbag is shaped the same so it wouldn't help to try that one.

That 4 spoke wheel was OK; I did find that every once in a while I would catch my fingers in it while making turns. Not to make it sound like it was dangerous or anything, just slightly annoying from time to time. Seemed to me like it was due to just less open area between the spokes vs. the 3 spoke design.

Richard
Thanks, that all makes sense. Bummer on the 95+ wheel though because they're great.