88 2500 5.7 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have had this truck for 2 years and I have never had a problem with it when I first got it I change the plugs wires and distributor cap about a week ago I was driving about 65 70 miles an hour on the interstate and I had been driving for about 30 miles and my truck died all of a sudden and I put it in neutral and it started right back up I went for about five miles and then it did it again and then it got to the point where it didn't want to start any more I let it sit for about two and a half 3 hours and change the fuel filter itseem like it fix the problem the truck drove fine for about a week and then all of a sudden the other day it just turned off and it would not restart so I had the fuel pump replaced in the spark plugs I started the truck up and backfires and sputters and and runs like crap its not even drivable I noticed that my gas gauge is not working anymore and it looks like there's a small dent in the gas tank I don't know if that would do anything I unhook the fuel line from the filter and turn the key on and it was like the filter was not pumping gas I got under the truck and hit the gas tank a couple times hard with my hand and the truck would start up easy run a little better but not by much and then it would just die out I really don't know what else to do I'm kind of lost here I've even taken off the cat to see if that was the problem any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the fuel pump is running with the key on but not moving gas, you either have a faulty pump or a blockage in the fuel line.
Did you replace the pump yourself? Was a new filter sock installed? New rubber "or whatever it is" hose between the sending unit and pump?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An 88 is almost 30 years old. Who knows what crud and stuff is in the tank and lines? If it was me, I'd remove the tank from the truck (I realize this is a PITA), have it either totally cleaned out inside or replaced, and I'd replace the fuel lines. You've already done the filter I understand, so that should be ok.

An engine really needs only two things to run: fuel and spark. This one definitely sounds like a fuel problem.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An engine really needs only two things to run: fuel and spark. This one definitely sounds like a fuel problem.

Three, you forgot air. I agree with the fuel system cleaning though, couldn't hurt.

Aside from that, your pump could be faulty fresh out of the box. Not unheard of. I'd also be checking the wiring to the pump.

superj

Reaction score
Drain the tank and throw a pack of marbles in and shake it around. That will break any junk free inside the tank. Then just clean the stuff out and you are ready to reinstall everything