8 to 5 lug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll apologize in advance because I'm sure its been covered 100 times but all I seem to find when I search is 5 to 6 lug threads. Anyway, what is involved in changing to 1/2 ton. I assume in front I'll need rotors/bearings, spindles, but will a-arms work or will I need to source some 1/2 ton arms? And I would think the rear would be as simple as swapping rear ends right? Thanks for any help

Adam

edit: ok so my googling must have been a little better this morning. I'm going to need lowers, and replace the upper BJ with a 1/2 BJ, spindles, rotors. sound right?

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mostly correct. Upper ball joint size is different but you can install the 1/2 ton upper control arms with no problem. Lowers are the same C1500-C2500-C3500, the plain stamped pieces.

Richard

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn, that's easier than I thought it was going to be. I assume the rear spring perches/shock mounts will be the same too?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
damn, that's easier than I thought it was going to be. I assume the rear spring perches/shock mounts will be the same too?

Yup. You can bring the half ton spring pack over too if you like, providing it's also from the same body style (pickup for pickup, Suburban for Suburban, etc. as each major model has a different spring length.)

To really dial it in you may want to move the complete hydraulic portion of the braking system over as well - not just the calipers, and wheel cylinders (which of course would come with the rear axle) but the master cylinder and proportioning valve, too. You didn't mention what year or specific model, but if it's 95-up the prop valve is built into the 4 wheel ABS unit. In truth it may not make a difference readily noticeable but the 1/2 ton brakes do generally use different m/c etc. but you could do a part # lookup/compare to be sure.

Richard