8.1L swap into my 7.4L K2500 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If money wasn't an object I'd build a big cube conventional big block. I'd keep a 454 over an 8.1 anyday.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

David Cruz

Reaction score
I considered the 8.1 swap when my tbi 454 died in my K2500 SAS Suburban, the parts availability just isn't there yet. I also looked at the 6.0 swap but after doing some research on what most 6.0 guys were getting for mpg I ended up going with a HT502 with a carb. I'm mainly looking for torque and I know the 6.0 can be made to make more torque but it's also gonna be working harder than a motor with 2.2L more displacement. I plan on switching to a Holley Sniper or MSD Atomic EFI setup once I recover from financing the HT502 swap...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Money wasn't an object you could just buy a high country Duramax or whatever dbag edition is cool now
If money was no option a wouldn't even glance at a duramax. Cummins or powerstroke are the only 2 real choices imo.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If money was no option a wouldn't even glance at a duramax. Cummins or powerstroke are the only 2 real choices imo.

I can respect that. They're all exceptional trucks. And insanely expensive lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I still fail to understand the parts availability thing. What parts did you guys want that you couldn't get? I get it cams are expensive as hell, but what more would one really want?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I still fail to understand the parts availability thing. What parts did you guys want that you couldn't get? I get it cams are expensive as hell, but what more would one really want?
You should look into 8.1 aftermarket

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I considered the 8.1 swap when my tbi 454 died in my K2500 SAS Suburban, the parts availability just isn't there yet. I also looked at the 6.0 swap but after doing some research on what most 6.0 guys were getting for mpg I ended up going with a HT502 with a carb. I'm mainly looking for torque and I know the 6.0 can be made to make more torque but it's also gonna be working harder than a motor with 2.2L more displacement. I plan on switching to a Holley Sniper or MSD Atomic EFI setup once I recover from financing the HT502 swap...
Think I know the answer but I would guess a tbi cannot supply enough fuel to feed that 502,true?