7.4L vortec hard start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I replaced the temp sensor 1st. Then when I had the rear brakes done by my mechanic I had them replace the FPR when we both agreed that as the most likely culprit. Still hard to start. When the weather cools here in Atlanta I am going to replace the fuel rail and all 8 injectors. I looked on Youtube and it did not look a hard as I thought. 1996 Chevy Silverado CC SRW long bed 7.4L w 226,000 miles. Will post when finished if that solves the hard hot start issue.

The injectors are known to be a problem, and their are lots of vendors on ebay selling Bosch injectors to replace them OEM design. I still have not done mine, but it needs it.

Why replace the rail?

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The injectors are known to be a problem, and their are lots of vendors on ebay selling Bosch injectors to replace them OEM design. I still have not done mine, but it needs it.

Why replace the rail?
With the age & milage I will probably end up breaking something on the rail removing it along with the injectors. It is an involved fix removing the upper intake housing to get to the rail/injectors don't like the idea of taking the time trying to discern which injectors are leaking. can get ac delco injectors for $80 each on amazon & the rail and clips for the same.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the age & milage I will probably end up breaking something on the rail removing it along with the injectors. It is an involved fix removing the upper intake housing to get to the rail/injectors don't like the idea of taking the time trying to discern which injectors are leaking. can get ac delco injectors for $80 each on amazon & the rail and clips for the same.

Instead of paying $80 each for ac delco replacements get some used ls1 injectors and a mail order tune for them, you'll be glad you did. Just be careful where you get injectors from, avoid ebay unless you really trust the source. I wouldn't bother replacing the rail unless you break it, I've had mine out several times and never hurt it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

You should replace all the injectors.... there is no discerning which injectors are leaking unless you just want to know. You don't need to replace the rail. You also don't want to spend $80 each on the OEM injectors that are a poor design. Get some new or used injectors on ebay. There are all kinds of vendors that sell them and they're a lot cheaper than $80 each. Usually they're Bosch or another brand. This is a rare instance where you don't want OEM.

This does not need to be a $720 job.

REPtile

Reaction score
I replaced the temp sensor 1st. Then when I had the rear brakes done by my mechanic I had them replace the FPR when we both agreed that as the most likely culprit. Still hard to start. When the weather cools here in Atlanta I am going to replace the fuel rail and all 8 injectors. I looked on Youtube and it did not look a hard as I thought. 1996 Chevy Silverado CC SRW long bed 7.4L w 226,000 miles. Will post when finished if that solves the hard hot start issue.
I know it's an old thread but what fixed your hard start when warm? I have same issue 99 7.4 cclb k3500