5 speed as 454 clone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick lenz

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm building a clone SS 454 out of my short box 90 Chev. I want to keep the 5 speed in it for time being its I believe a nv3500 im told there junk but until I can justify an upgrade . I'll just take it easy on it and only mild big block. What has to be done to install like it's the same clutch and bell right ?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I've abused a few of those transmissions and never had a problem, i'd say they can handle a relatively stock big block as long as its not absurdly abused. Yes, clutch setups and bellhousings are all the same, if you're swapping from a v6 I believe it would have an 11" clutch disc, and v8's all had 12". If looking to save money, I'd say for now it would be fine. If you have the funds, there are alternatives out there. NV4500s are stronger, but aren't as "sporty" of a transmission. I personally have a TKO600 in my project, but its a little more than a mild build.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being a '90, it more then likely has the getrag 5lm60. It's an ok tranny and I've abused one with good luck but as mentioned, there are better alternatives