5.7 oil mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, everything is OEM, I can tell by how the whole engine is caked with old oil all over. And I've been running it enough to know that it's losing a quart every 60 miles whether or not the stick and pan are original. I appreciate the question though

It might be time to go to the car wash and degrease the engine. An engine caked with crud on the exterior is a sure sign of leaks. The crud will trap oil so it doesn't hit the ground.

Something like a leaking rear main seal can dump mad amounts of oil running but very little while sitting.

Bad valve stem seals will put oil in the chamber and smokes bad upon startup out the tail pipe.

Puffing smoke out the valve cover is a sign of blowby. Do the tests Schurkey suggested.

A quart in 60 miles would be fumigating the neighborhood. If I'm correct 6 months ago you mentioned it was leaving some drips on the ground.

Last edited:

Treble

Reaction score
Before you wash, can we get an image of the engine Bay. My guess is it looks like a blown out portalet on a construction site

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a very dumb questions I know, but I did see it once many years ago: Do you have an after-market dip stick?
Have you done a complete oil change and filled with exactly the amount of oil specified for your engine?
Do you have an after-market oil pan?
You can see where I am going with this. Good luck with your issue!
Actually, thats not a dumb question at all. Ive seen the same thing a couple of times.
The worst was a guy I know who had a 4.3 and lost the dipstick so he just went to the junkyard and got a new one.
He didnt understand that they are not all the same.
God only knows what it came out of but it was way shorter than a chevy.
So he kept pouring oil into it.
I dont know how many gallons he got into it before it blew up but there were at least 5 empty 5 quart jugs in the trunk.
He just kept running it and it puked oil so he poured more in and it puked oil
And it never registered full on the lawnmower or honda or whatever dipstick.
That was back in the late 1980s.
We still call him "dipstick"
Sometimes just "dip"
I just got off of the phone with him an hour ago.
He has Covid for the 2nd time because he thinks its a scam and refuses to wear a mask.
Awesome guy. will give you the shirt off his back kinda guy.
Dumb as a bag of hammers.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Actually, thats not a dumb question at all. Ive seen the same thing a couple of times.
The worst was a guy I know who had a 4.3 and lost the dipstick so he just went to the junkyard and got a new one.

I wrenched at a Yamaha dealer. A guy brought in a bike (Yamaha V-twin) that wouldn't start after he changed the oil. The sight glass was clear full so knew it was over full....... Took the cap off the oil fill (on top of the engine case) to suck a little out. It was full to the bottom of the threads. Drained out 9 quarts. Supposed to hold 3.5 quarts. There was so much oil the crankshaft was completely submerged in oil. Good thing he didn't get it started!!!

Ken

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know how many gallons he got into it before it blew up but there were at least 5 empty 5 quart jugs in the trunk.
Sometimes just "dip"
He has Covid for the 2nd time because he thinks its a scam and refuses to wear a mask.
I knew of somebody who bought a dry sump Porsche for dirt cheap because the dealer couldn't get it to quit dumping oil every time they started it and so he walked in and offered him almost nothing for it, well they took his money and he drove around the corner drained a couple of gallons of oil out of it and went on his way. It ran great for years. [emoji1787]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Sometimes just "dip"
Hammers are useful.