5.3 into 95 350 TBI Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a 5.3 swap with my Tahoe, so besides the engine, tranny and wiring what else would I be needing? eventually I'm gonna need a new engine has a oil leak got 255k on it might be better off rebuilding that or doing a swap just trying to price it all out

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you don't NEED a new tranny. Unless you're having problems with it, I'd keep it. V6 or v8, doesn't matter. Tranny should fit both.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you don't NEED a new tranny. Unless you're having problems with it, I'd keep it. V6 or v8, doesn't matter. Tranny should fit both.
Ya, I just read you can use a harness for that and one for the swapped in engine

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You may want to upgrade to the newer trans as it is stronger, AND will have the progressive lockup instead of the earlier lockup style that can cause issues with the swap unless you properly tune it, and allowing you to run a single computer

You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump (the TBI pump is not sufficient), obviously you'll need adapter engine mounts, an intake (MAF sensor), you'll need to come up with an exhaust solution (headers or stock manifolds), coolant hoses, Trans cooler is something you may want to consider, and a radiator cooling solution as the stock 5.3 fan probably won't work very well without ducting. I strongly recommend electric fans and using the stock computer to control a relay pack for the fans.

If you want AC thats a whole other ball of wax to add in as well. Also keep in mind if you have a 2 wire vs 1 wire alt setup how that all gets set up to work properly, and how (and to what degree) you plan to make your gauge cluster function.

Laid GP

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression for some reason that the 95 auto trans would not work. Hmm, I may have to do some more reading then.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
It won't bolt up without picking up compatible parts (spacer, converter etc), and the LSx computer won't control it, but there are ways.

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 is a ******* year as far as 4l60e goes. It would just be easier to use a complete pullout and go that route. Theres also nothing to getting your gauges to work in full factory form. A stock clutch fan will also work fine. If you are referencing the engine off of your trans mount then that's going to give you about another inch between the radiator and front of the engine.

Depending on your goals you can go as cheap and simple as you can or start throwing more into it for doodads. But in all honesty after my swap I realized I could had done without a ton of things I thought I needed and saved a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also will need fuel line fitting and hose, sending unit for water temp auto meter 2259 for the sending unit and auto meter 2277 for the adapter. Not sure for tbi on the oil pressure sending unit but for my old vortec I needed auto meter 2268 adapter to use my unit for my oil pressure gauge to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk