4x4 Transfer case help (dangerous)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Im in liberty, I was on 152 and there were whiteout conditions. Heard you guys got it worse though! I got the rear end from a junk yard down town over the summer, they cross ref'd the vin to make sure it was a 3.42 to match my front. Tires are all the same size and model. I am not sure as far as the drive shaft... we havent had alot of snow and this is the first time I kicked it into 4wd action fully since I bought it. Issues could be prior or just happened... I am not sure where to start.... unfortunately I am at work right now and cannot diagnose anything.

just because they checked a vin does not mean the 3:42 were actually still in the donor truck, i would pop the cover and count teeth

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havent had a chance to check yea... but got some horrible grinding popping noises when I tried to engage 4wd, in 4lo its as if its catching, one point all the motor did was rev up would not move...

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
just because they checked a vin does not mean the 3:42 were actually still in the donor truck, i would pop the cover and count teeth

^ This is a must, the guy i got mine from swore he had 3.42s only to find out that it had 3.73s when i popped the cover off.:flipthebird: Wish I'd known that when i got it or I'd have got the front diff to :bawl:

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ This is a must, the guy i got mine from swore he had 3.42s only to find out that it had 3.73s when i popped the cover off.:flipthebird: Wish I'd known that when i got it or I'd have got the front diff to :bawl:

I will pop the cover off and count the teeth, just put new diff oil in there too... :( should be able to salvage in a drain pan. How many teeth does 3.42's and 3.73's have? I crawled under the truck to check for anything leaking, broken, cracked, etc etc. I Didn't find anything. I did see if the front drive shaft turned freely it did, I also checked for play and it had some (was able to move it back and forth)Looks like the Universal joint? (4 pronged?)

Do these trucks have automatic locking hubs? do you guys think the main 4wd switch could be the problem as well? like maybe not fully engaging/disengaging?

Last edited: