4x4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasCowboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need help. My 4 hi does not engage and 4 low works sometimes. When It dosent it acts as if the whole truck is in neutral. Then I swap back to 2wd and it's like something is still spinning even tho truck is in neutral. Any ideas

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have electronic shift or floor shift? I only ask because my electronic shift button was going out and causing the 4Hi not to engage, though 4Lo would engage when pressing that button last winter.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the front axle isn't engaging. Check and see if the actuator has power and ground to it when you shift it to 4WD. If not check fuses and the switch on top of the transfer case for power. IF it does have power, check to see if the actuator is actually moving when powered

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 Tahoe wouldn’t shift into 4WD (floor shifter, front wheel indicator lights wouldn’t come on). The actuator is really easy to get to, just under the front end facing the passenger side front wheel. Followed the pigtail to a connector, unplugged the top side and checked for 12V - yes when in 4WD and no when in 2WD. You can even check with ignition switch on but car not running. Took out the actuator with an adjustable wrench and replaced it for $60. Problem solved.