4WD Doesnt Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I try to put my truck from 2H into 4L it doesnt do anything, so i go from 2H into neutral and it grinds then i slide it into 4L it grinds and the truck tugs but my front wheels dont spin. My lights on the floor or dash dont change either, any suggestions?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
oops, sorry. a TLA is a Thermal Linear Accuator. It is what engages the front differential. but like i said, it sounds like u have some mechanical issues. try jacking up the front end and having the truck in park and try and rotate the front drive shaft. it should move freely. if you feel binding you've got a problem. and upon second though, if it IS grinding it isn't the TLA. if it was it wouldn't do anything at all

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if no grinding go buy a TLA and if it is grinding?...

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
if it's grinding it isn't likely the TLA but a mechanical issue. which is either the transfer case or the front diff, which i'd think isn't the issue.

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt there a magnet type thing next to the oil pan? Could that be dirty?

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
not that i'm aware of. but i'm not an expert on it. try what i said first then let me know how that turns out and we can go from there

kyle8595

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I get home from school and work tomorrow I'll it up on stands and take a look.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it just the tcase grinding a little bit when shifting into 4lo? Or does it grind just when you move? I've always had a little grinding when going through neutral on the tcase. The actuator in the front diff is the most common issue for no 4wd, there is also a switch on tcase.