4L60E Rebuild... PROBLEM!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so last month i got my trans rebuilt at 190k by a local guy who works for GM right by my city, hes worked on transmissions for 30 plus years exclusively on GM, yadda yadda yadda, anyways i went thru him and not a "shop" anyways the main reason i got it rebuilt is theres a rattle from 10-50mph, shops put a scope under the truck and narrowed it down to the rear of the trans, well i got it rebuilt, shift kit, corvette servo, new torque converter, 1300 bucks. well the rattle never went away i was and still am PISSED, he tried to tell me it was in the valve train or some bs. its def not! Anyways i took it to my mechanic and had my neighbor look/tinker with it and they are saying its most likely the clutch drum, or the planetary on the spline shaft that is worn out, now i know jack s#it about transmissions and im not going to pay them to check since i already paid for the rebuild, anyways is the clutch drum and or planetary gear something that would be included in the rebuild cost? The rebuild was all inclusive mind you a complete overhaul according to my guy i do have a 1 year 20k warranty on the trans as well but i need more knowledge before i go and demand he fix it, so please can you guys sprinkle me with some knowledge on this?

gitrdun

Reaction score
Well considering the 30yr mechanic and the dealer are both wrong. I don't know if anyone can be of much help.. ?

Don't just go throwing parts at something hoping to fix a problem.

First, research it, and if all else fails, bring it to a dealer. They have trouble shooting trees that they MUST follow when trying to find a problem and 999/1000 it does work.
It couldve been something cheap, a 30 cent nut or bolt that rattled loose. You never know what the issue could be until you actually troubleshoot it properly.

What I would do in this situation is get a buddy that you literally trust with your life, fully secure the front wheels from moving even a 1/4" , jack the back end up and then get him to accelerate until the noise is loudest and pinpoint it and then report back to us,

Hope this helps

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think replacing the sunshell and planetary gears is standard procedure during a rebuild. It is possible it could be bad but i would think they would check it before they put trans back together though........

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think replacing the sunshell and planetary gears is standard procedure during a rebuild. It is possible it could be bad but i would think they would check it before they put trans back together though........

Why wouldnt the sunshell be replaced in a rebuild?

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so my next question would be what could cause a rattle in the tail end of the trans that is not replaced in a rebuild kit?