4L60E Problems NEED HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not worth it.

while most of your posts are pretty good, and I tend to either learn, or agree.... posts like this leave me wondering what makes you say that. For example, getting ready to rebuild my 350, and have decided to go 383 with it. My brother in law says "It's not worth it." So I tell him the 383 makes more power and is a stronger built motor, why wouldnt it be worth it? "its a half ton, keep the 350 and be happy" While he isnt wrong, he then says he wants to swap a fuel plate on his cummins to get like double the tq. So if he would have said something more like, "I wouldnt bother, the 350 is more than enough motor for that truck" I may have agreed. But with "Its not worth it" i just ask why.

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
my 4l60 just started doing this two weeks ago; the first time it did it i drove home pulled in the yard checked everything and drove it again and everything did fine. i haven't had any problem untill tonight when it started doing it again was on the way home and the damn thing straightened out and did fine again. the fluid was changed about a year ago would changing the fluid and filter help, is there anything electronic that would cause this to be a intermitent problem, or am i looking at a rebuild?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
while most of your posts are pretty good, and I tend to either learn, or agree.... posts like this leave me wondering what makes you say that. For example, getting ready to rebuild my 350, and have decided to go 383 with it. My brother in law says "It's not worth it." So I tell him the 383 makes more power and is a stronger built motor, why wouldnt it be worth it? "its a half ton, keep the 350 and be happy" While he isnt wrong, he then says he wants to swap a fuel plate on his cummins to get like double the tq. So if he would have said something more like, "I wouldnt bother, the 350 is more than enough motor for that truck" I may have agreed. But with "Its not worth it" i just ask why.

Look at it like this, you'll obviously be spending the money in a 383 itself. Then comes the issue with fueling, your stock 19lb/hr poppet injectors won't cut it. A marine intake and MPFI conversion if big money. Then there's the tuning issue. If you can't tune the PCM yourself, you'll need someone to do it for you. There goes another three bills. See where I'm going?

A basic LSx swap could be done for the cost of making equal power from a GenI sbc.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
my 4l60 just started doing this two weeks ago; the first time it did it i drove home pulled in the yard checked everything and drove it again and everything did fine. i haven't had any problem untill tonight when it started doing it again was on the way home and the damn thing straightened out and did fine again. the fluid was changed about a year ago would changing the fluid and filter help, is there anything electronic that would cause this to be a intermitent problem, or am i looking at a rebuild?

Keeping the fluid changed is always a good idea. Couldn't hurt. Usually it's indicative of an issue with the forward apply clutches.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Umm why? i love my TH350, truck is alot better now without the terrible 4L60E.

I don't understand the logic. :think: Unless it's purely a cruiser for around town, there is NO reason to ever go back 30 years in technology and give up an OD ratio and shift control. If you're going to beat on a TH350, I will promise you you'll break hard parts as easily as you will a 4L60.