4L60e issue with Holley Terminator X Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RayC

Reaction score
So I have a 94 C1500 2WD that came originaly with the 4.3L TBI and 4L60e one piece transmission. I removed the 4.3 and replaced it with a Gen 1 383 stroker crate engine. I then purchased the Holley Terminator X Max with transmission controller. So as it turns out the Terminator will not control this 94 4l60e trans, but only 99 and up 4L60e's. So the question that I haven't been able to find an answer is, Can a 99 and up 4L60e bolt up to my Gen 1 engine? What if anything will I need for this swap? If that all fails, can I just drop a TH70r4 in there and make it work? What if anything will I need for the 700r4 to work? TCC, TV cable? I've spent so much money on this project and I am now stuck at this point. I need help please and thank you.

RayC

Reaction score
The 383 starts and runs great. I just dont have a trans at this point that will make it move.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to change the trans, you might as well get a 4L80e because that 60 is going to be on borrowed time anyways.

RayC

Reaction score
Wouldn't that entail a lot more modifications? Can you list some if known? Will the 4l80e bolt up to my Gen 1 engine?
thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's different between the '94 4L60E and the '99 4L60E? Maybe you could just re-pin the '94 trans to mimic the '99? Or change the valve body harness?

The '99-up 4L60E or any 4L80E should bolt up. May have to modify the cooler tube(s) to fit the '80E, and you'd maybe have one bellhousing bolt on the upper right side that won't be used. The '80E would want six torque converter bolts instead of the usual three, and most flexplates won't be drilled for the additional bolt holes in the correct-sized bolt circle.

Whittaker

Reaction score
Repining the 94? How so? Any info on that? Thanks for your response.
I'm in a similar boat I have a 1995 K1500 and I have an older but new Holley Dominator that I got before the Terminator X Max. I'm doing multiport on the 406 I built for it. The 4l60e for 95 is a one-year-only trans mine has been built and stood plenty of abuse so far.

Holley had listed 96 up I thought as being controlled by their systems.

I did call Holley and talk to their tech line people and they said it should not be an issue as long as it is a 4l60e and not the 4l60 that I guess was partly electronic but not completely the same. So years like 93-up should be able to function.

If I was to need to go through a transmission again I would choose a 4l80e but then we are talking about having the driveshaft cut in the rear and the front one lengthened.

I have seen YouTubers with videos of using the stock ecm to control their 4l60E with them using a carburetor that they add a throttle position sensor to and then give the ecm an rpm signal and maybe one other wire for something. But most were able to use the stock ecm for transmission control.

I hope and plan to use my Holley system to control my transmission unless there is just no way it is going to work.

Please let me know what you work out or what Holley tells you to do.

Thanks

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did call Holley and talk to their tech line people and they said it should not be an issue as long as it is a 4l60e and not the 4l60 that I guess was partly electronic but not completely the same. So years like 93-up should be able to function.

4l60 is a 700r4 with a name change, 4l60e is the same transmission with electronic controls.