4L60E difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello fellas.
I want to replace my tranny with a GM new one. But there are 2 options 24216084 and 24216081 with RPO (Y91). I know that Y91 mean luxury i.e. Escalade and Denali for GMT400 series. But is there any true difference between those two?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Maybe some slight difference to the valve body for a more comfortable shift on the luxury stuff? Im just guessing.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe some slight difference to the valve body for a more comfortable shift on the luxury stuff? Im just guessing.

I don't know what the difference is either but I'm thinking that's not it - since 1996-up everything is PWM they can control all of it through the PCM, no need for valve body differences. But we're both guessing, to be sure.

Richard

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since nobody seems to know for sure, I would call or go to a dealer and ask them as if you were going to have them do it for you. That way you can most likely get a legit answer to your question.

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So no dealer anywhere would possibly know which transmission would go into a truck? Or maybe a transmission shop? Not everyone is crooked.

Also asking around couldn't hurt since he isn't getting any answers in this thread.

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As you might guess dealer asked my VIN number and offered me to order non Y91. They can't tell me anything about that.
Well, guy from trany shop told me that it could be 4L60E transmission into 4L65E core, but to be sure he needs to see it)))