4 in lift for 2 door Tahoe w/ Autotrac recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSX55

Reaction score
Hi all - I've been playing with the idea of lifting my '99 2 door for years, but had difficulties finding a 4" kit for Autotrac models that don't increase the front track width - Rough Country seems to have been the only one but I didn't like the idea of having to decrank for the 4" lift (since they design their kits for 4" and 6" use). Currently, my Tahoe is stock with a front torsion crank (done by the previous owner) and as a result has never been a great ride - it currently wears 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains on the stock 16" wheels (which rub the front sway bar slightly under full lock).

I'd like to stick with 33" tires and the factory 3.73 gearing since it's not a dedicated off-roader, hence the desire for a 4 in lift (you're welcome to change my mind).

So my questions.

1) What kit do you recommend that meets all of these criteria:
-4" lift and fits 33" tires with no trimming
-No track width increase
-Autotrac compatible
-Level CV angles once installed (not a dig at Rough Country, and maybe this is my only option, I just don't like the sound of being decranked but maybe that's not founded)

I know of the Rough Country PN# 27430, and see that ProComp makes a couple of kits (K1053B and K1049B which differ just in shock choice) but they do not specify if it is Autotrac compatible. Any other options to consider?

2) I'm looking for a 17" wheel when I do this lift; most of the kits seem to require 4-4.5" of backspacing to accommodate a 33x12.50 tire, , but I am also looking to utilize the extra width from the factory flares. For those of you with aftermarket wheels and factory flares, what width/offset/backspace did you go with and how flush does it sit with the flares?

Thank you all for your help on this. Below is how the Tahoe sits today with the cranked bars, as well as the motivating factor for finally getting answers on this (the recent rising temps no doubt led to the sudden death of my BFG).

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: