4-high engages, 4-low doesn't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
recently in my 94 the 4-low stopped engaging. the 4-high will engage, the light in the bezel beside the shifter in the floor lights up, you can feel the front wheels "working"... but not with 4-low. no light in the bezel, no "working" feeling in the front wheels.

suggestions?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should have bought a truck with manual shift...

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Does the transfer case go into low range? if not I am willing to bet the shift linkage is out of adjustment. should be onthe drivers side of the transfer case above the drive shaft IIRC. that's how and what it was on my FS blazer.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Mine would sometimes do that when I had the body lift was on. The linkage wasn't adjusted right. One time I got in a bad hole and had to put my right foot on the floor shifter to hold it tight in gear and mash the gas with my left foot. Lol. So just make sure your pushing the shifter all the way into gear.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Linkage or check to see if the lever is hitting the plastic bezel or floor sheet metal before it gets full travel.