2dr crate motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

there we go, now all the major is back in.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was there something wrong with your original motor? or did you just want lesser mileage?

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and now all the little is in except the catback, clipping the o2 sensor harness back where it needs to go adding the fluids and putting the electric fan, grill, and hood back on. I kind of want to go do donuts with the hood supports popped up. I should probably triple check everything is torque'd to spec before I do that though.

(new aux trans cooler + hardlines)

looking forward to hearing how the full stainless exhaust will sound on this, probably something like a boat. Gibson headers, magnaflow high flow mid pipe, magnaflow dual in/single out muffler with what looks like a 3" turndown pipe before the rear axle, I hope it isn't too loud as I have to cut the tailpipe off the stock catback to get it out...

Typos from my iPhone using Tapatalk while po0ping.

Last edited:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're getting everything back together, if you don't mind me asking what happened to the Overhaulin' truck that they had to sell the motor?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember seeing that overhaulin episode several years ago, looked up the original air date and it was 2004, time flys! lol. did it not have the cold air intake on the engine still?

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember seeing that overhaulin episode several years ago, looked up the original air date and it was 2004, time flys! lol. did it not have the cold air intake on the engine still?

It still had it and I have it, I just don't have the carb sticker for it so I'm putting it together with my stock air box to get it trough smog.

He's taking the whole truck apart and rebuilding it with an engine and trans from a 2009 truck, the body was off the frame when I bought the engine stuff.

Typos from my iPhone using Tapatalk while po0ping.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man this truck just loves me, took it for a spin around the block and it ran fine. Parked and let it idle for a few minutes, took it back out a little further and gave it 1/2 throttle in first gear and 1/2 block later the high pressure line off the aux trans cooler popped out just enough to leave a trail of fail all the way back to my driveway.

I really hate those stupid E clips.

on the plus side I'm pleasently suprised how good the engine runs, and how much better the engine sounds than the original engine this truck had. Maybe it's because I'm driving around with the hood off and the air box cover removed (so just a giant K&N filter in the box bottom) but at 1/2 throttle even with the stock muffler/catback on it the engine sounds great with a nice deeper growl than stock. I wasn't expecting the headers and high flow mid pipe to change the sound at all.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swapped the p/s pump, a/c + p/s pump accessory bracket, swapped the coolant overflow bottle, tried swapping computers for the one from the truck I got the engine from since I assumed it was tuned, but it had no tune in it according to the hypertech the guy gave me, and it had the VIN encoding for a 2wd tahoe so I swapped my computer back in and loaded up the "hypertech power tune" whatever good that will do. Then installed a new belt since the old one was slipping/squeeking, and since I found the carb eo info online, swapped the airaide intake on, it's en ugly and I hate it but the filter is a lot cleaner than the k&n I had in the stock box and I don't feel like washing/oiling it right now.

Still debating on installing the custom catback, it sounds pretty cool already with the headers/high flow cat pipe, while still being nice and quiet inside with the windows up.

I'm worried the turndown on the magnaflow will just create a ton of interior resonance

Tomorrow I'll start swapping a/c components and will take the upper plastic intake off to see if this engine has been MPFI upgraded or not, as I don't want to sell the old engine with the $600 MPFI kit on it if this one doesn't have it, and it looks like I have a buyer for the engine coming to pick it up tomorrow.