2000 k2500 old body style.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sledneck48

Reaction score
Man that's tough so the bricked PCM can be flash by the dealer with a stock cal from westers by the dealer? And yeah I don't want to spend that much at all. Or also do you think I could find a computer out of a 97 98 99 2500 with the 4l80e and plug and go?? I won't mind spending 500 to get me going again

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey man there is a 2500 at the yard down the street from me i know the manager real well i will see if i can get there before they close tomorrow and get a price and get back to you,i will have them hold it till i get your ok on it, also give me the numbers off the tag on yours,this truck has a 5.7 with a 4l80

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Man that's tough so the bricked PCM can be flash by the dealer with a stock cal from westers by the dealer?

Nope, if it's bricked, it's dead. They can flash the one you got from the salvage yard if it's the same hardware (part number) as your truck's PCM. The files from westers are not compatible with the TECH II the dealer will use. They have access to every stock calibration ever made by GM because, well......they're GM Service Group.

And yeah I don't want to spend that much at all. Or also do you think I could find a computer out of a 97 98 99 2500 with the 4l80e and plug and go?? I won't mind spending 500 to get me going again

You should be able to do that.

I think the gassers also have a BCM in the later year, there might be some issues with that. I'm also not sure if that year GMT400 has a DRAC/VSSB or if it stores the gear ratio in the PCM.

My GMT400 gasser stuff isn't as fresh as it used to be as I haven't tuned one in a long time. Last one was my tuned port conversion and a 411 PCM. Scrapped that truck a several years ago (bad frame) and my TPI setup is out hanging on one of the garage walls gathering dust...

I'm mostly just going on memory for your truck stuff questions, but the tuning advice is accurate.

I'm more of a GMT400 Diesel tuner guy these days....

Last edited:

stevehayes01

Reaction score
Once the ECU is bricked the only way to recover it is to use the BDM pads on the ecu board in most cases. I would give it a go one more time to see if you can reflash it. Not sure if these trucks are the same as my SAAB (GM) ecu where I have to have 13.5V to flash it and anything less wont allow for the erase/re-write operations. Worst case is pick up 1 more ECU and try flashing one of your 2 good ECU's with the programmer.

Have you contacted the programmer maker yet? they may be able to help for a cost as well.

Who makes the ECU on the 2000+ trucks? I can ask around on my site Ecuproject.com to see if anyone there has hacked one yet and can offer help.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Once the ECU is bricked the only way to recover it is to use the BDM pads on the ecu board in most cases. I would give it a go one more time to see if you can reflash it. Not sure if these trucks are the same as my SAAB (GM) ecu where I have to have 13.5V to flash it and anything less wont allow for the erase/re-write operations. Worst case is pick up 1 more ECU and try flashing one of your 2 good ECU's with the programmer.

Have you contacted the programmer maker yet? they may be able to help for a cost as well.

Who makes the ECU on the 2000+ trucks? I can ask around on my site Ecuproject.com to see if anyone there has hacked one yet and can offer help.

Part number should be 16263494 on a 2000 7.4 K2500.

Just signed up on your site and am having a look around, some interesting stuff there.

What is a "BDM pad"?

*edit* ahhhh, google reveals Background Debug Mode, veeery interesting......

Reason I ask is I've got a 16216588 PCm in my 98 that I've been unsuccessful at reading the bin from, no mater how I try. No one seems to be able to read them without lifting the chip, which can result in ruining it completely....

Last edited:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i looked for him today and thats the service number we went by but its the wrong ecu its missing the plug in the center of the unit,he sent me a pic of his and its the same as the one in my 3500 so i am giving the yard the info tomorrow so they can check with another yard that deals in just GM trucks should have him hooked up soon

stevehayes01

Reaction score
Part number should be 16263494 on a 2000 7.4 K2500.

Just signed up on your site and am having a look around, some interesting stuff there.

What is a "BDM pad"?

*edit* ahhhh, google reveals Background Debug Mode, veeery interesting......

Reason I ask is I've got a 16216588 PCm in my 98 that I've been unsuccessful at reading the bin from, no mater how I try. No one seems to be able to read them without lifting the chip, which can result in ruining it completely....

So I helped write and break the code for the SAAB ECU's into an open source application.....now I need to start looking into the GM ECU's. Can you send me pictures of the ECU opened up? and the chip type on it?

Thanks!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So I helped write and break the code for the SAAB ECU's into an open source application.....now I need to start looking into the GM ECU's. Can you send me pictures of the ECU opened up? and the chip type on it?

Thanks!

Sure, I've got a couple lying around that are already open.

I am very interested in developing this for the 16216588 PCM for gm 6.5 diesels (ie access to the bin though a bdm access point). But im not a programmer, just an experienced wrench and a beginning tuner. I have tunercatII and can reprogram 6.5 PCM's, although its not my work (I purchased the vdf) and it can't read the 16216588. Everyone that can program these can't get winflash to read that particular PCM, even the developer has had no luck.

However, I also don't want to dilute this thread any further.

Would you prefer I open a post on your forum on your website and work from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: