1st gear stickin, wont shift out of 2nd, no 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ChevyZ71

Reaction score
First off i have a 97 chevy 4x4 with a 4L60e with 160,000 miles.

I tried one of the stickys but no response so...1st gear sticks till 4k, then shifts into 2nd, then 2nd gear just goes to the rev limiter and wont shift, it doesnt slip it just wont shift. But while in 2nd i manually put it into 3rd it just revs up like im in neutral. I got 2 acdelco shift solenoids and oil/filter. And i hope it works, if not im prepared for a R&R. If so im just gonna "bulletproof" it. Thanks in advance

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Usually if the speedometer isn't working and not wanting to shift out of 1st it's the speed sensor on the transfer case that's bad.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or a shorted wire under your steering column. Happened to me

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speed sensor in my t case went out, and it only cost about $300 at a shop so it can't be that bad... But I don't think that is what's causing the problem, my trans wouldn't shift out of first because the speedometer was at 0 until I hit about 15 mph and then it jumped way up.. I have a feeling that it may be something in the trans if you can't shift it manually