1998 k1500 5.7 vortec pinging no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Please listen close.
Is this detonation or some other valve train issue.

Just tuned
It did it before the tune as well.

I can not hear it good in the video but it is very consistent through the whole video.

New plugs, wires, billet distributor, coil, no codes.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Air fuel ratio. If it was tuned one would notice a lean condition ( sometimes causes pinging ) so that's likely not the issue, especially if it did it before tune as well.

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
The only thing left is to change the original poppets out for the new style injectors.

Magna flow Stainless Cat back is new but it pinged before that as well.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you take it to a tuner? They should have noticed the ping and been able to rectify it assuming it's a fuel or detonation issue and not a mechanical flaw.

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
Did you take it to a tuner? They should have noticed the ping and been able to rectify it assuming it's a fuel or detonation issue and not a mechanical flaw.

How many miles on the motor?

A mechanic set the timing after I did all of the wrenching. My scanner will not tell me the timing.

I just turned 170,000. The original fuel pump died at 168,500

I wish the noise was better heard in the video. It can be heard real good at the beginning but it is there through the entire video.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I could hear it. When you say it was tuned, do you mean put on a dyno, and the computer was altered? Or do you just mean tuned up with new ignition stuff? I'm not a mechanic by profession, just a guy who has always had to wrench on stuff and is trying to help ya trace steps here.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the plugs have excessive carbon build up on them. Too much carbon in the cylinder can cause a ping, hard to imagine on a fuel injected motor with only 170k miles though.