1998 5.7 Hesitation and Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisR36

Reaction score
I recently put a remaned jasper motor in my 1998 K1500 SCSB. It ran it through the 500 mile break though, and then took it off-road. Alot of the spots had some water. I never stopped in it, and not a drop of water got into the cab. At the most the water was up to the top of the rim. About 2 feet or so. I have a 2in lift and didn't notice any problems when riding off-road. After we exited the trails I poped the hood, checked all the fluids, not a drop of water in the tranny or engine. Coolant was fine. Only thing I noticed is the battery strap had broken, and it was sideways! I flipped it back and we drove about an hour of highway driving to get back home.

I got home, parked it for about on hour than went out to go get some stuff. I noticed the truck was hesitating and coughing quite a bit around 1,100 - 2,000RPM. I would start it, let it warm up for about a minute or two and proceed to drive. I hit the gas and I got nothing but stumbling and hesitation. The more gas I gave it, the worse it got. After about 2 minutes of driving it had gone away and the truck drove as normal. The only thing I noticed after that was it would idle very rough at the stop light, and the truck would be shaking just a tad bit more than usually. It has somewhat gotten better over the past two days, but I still want to figure out what this could be?

In neutral I can rev it up all day long, it seems the problem only occurs when under load, and it is more prominent when going up a hill. It definitely seems to affect the vehicle more when it is cold. I haven't noticed the issue after the vehicle has warmed up. I maintain 14 volts, 180 - 109 degrees and 45- 80lbs of oil pressure. The car throws 3 codes. P0152 (02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1) P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected) and P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1). I have had the Cat code on and off for a while now. I need to get that addressed as well as 4 new 02 sensors. I also need to check the distributor cap, but I am unsure of what to look for here... I noticed the problem has gotten somewhat better today. initially it would last for up to 5 minutes cold, but now its around 1 -2 minutes or hesitation. The motor pops, crackles and makes weird noises under these conditions. I banged on the cats, nothing seems to be falling apart there. I noticed when it has a rough idle, the exhaust is shaking violently. Im not sure what to think about this, the period between running like **** and running as should is almost like flipping a light switch, it happens almost instantaneously. It goes form running like crap to great like that. What steps should I take to diagnose this issue? Any help is appreciated!!! Here is a link to the truck running, first I am idling in Drive, it is running rough then I proceed to climb a hill, nothing extremely steep but decent size. Once I get to the top I lay off the gas, and then hit it again when going down hill, no bogging down condition. The knocking in the begging is an interior piece, not the motor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Gadzuks01

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out a fix? I’m running into the exact issue.