1998 4.3 bucking, cutting out intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcronk69

Reaction score
My 1998 c1500 4.3 5 speed just developed a problem tonight.
I went out to get a pizza, probably 7 or 8 miles from my house.
On the way down, i thought i felt it buck, like the motor lost for a second. It ran fine the rest of the way.
On the way back, it did it several times. It seemed to do it just about every time I shifted into 3rd gear in the city, and the rpms were 2000-2500.
It did it coming up a hill on the highway in 4th gear also.
This is a new GM engine I just installed a week and a half ago. I also installed a new fuel injection spider.

Just looking for suggestions on things to check. A mechanic friend of mine said could be a crank sensor going or a fuel pressure problem.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could be ignition related, I have had a bad distributor cap cause a similar issue on my 4.3 truck.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Could be a fuel delivery issue, but it seems more likely an electrical problem.

I actually had a similar issue a couple years ago, it was a loose battery cable...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 was doing that just a big ago... I replaced yhe plugs and it all went away.. my old plugs looked terrible....lol

jcronk69

Reaction score
The distributor was replaced during the engine replacement with an aftermarket aluminum distributor to replace the trouble prone plastic one.
It came with a cap and rotor. I also replaced the plug wires and installed new AC Delco iridium plugs (oem installed plug).
I drove to work and back today and it ran fine. I'm stumped!